Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen 1 or 2 Glock 21, issues?

Gen 1 or 2 Glock 21, issues?

My LGS has a no rail G21, used for sale. Price is reasonable. Wear looks OK. I'm not up on my Glocks so I'm not sure exactly what generation it is, it does not have a rail. My question is what, if any, where the issues with the G21? Not looking to run it hard just want a .45 Auto for occasional use.

I did a search but couldn't find much on the earlier G21's.

Thanks

A couple of answers:

1. You can call Glock Technical Support at (770) 432-1202, give them the serial number, and they can tell you what, if any upgrades are due to your specific G21.

2. Any G21s with a serial prefix of "XM" are subject to upgrading.

3. If your G21 hasd a serial prefix of "ALD" or earlier, the breech face and extractor need to have a 15 degree breechface cut, and have the extractor replaced with a 15 degree extractor.

4. There is a good chance that your magazine followers, floor plates, springs, and inserts may need to be replaced with updated ones.

5. There is an addition slide feed rail modification that Glock can perform; I believe that it's in conjunction with #3 above.

There was no "Gen 1" G21-it's either a Gen 2 (no fingergrooves on receiver), a Gen 2.5 (fingergroove receiver but a smooth dustcover with no rail for light attachment), Gen 3 or Gen4. By your description, yours is either a Gen 2 or 2.5.

I'd suggest writing down the serial # and giving Glock a call to see what could be needed to be done, upgrade wise, before committing to the gun.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-23-2015 at 07:23 PM.

Site Supporter
    I see you are from Georgia - I live north of Atlanta. When I buy a used Glock, I take it to Glock Smyrna and ask for it to be "inspected" and I also take the Glock magazines and ask for them to be "inspected". I have had one G19, one G17, one G35, and one G21 "inspected" this way (multiple trips over a couple of years). So far the inspection has consisted of replacing every part on the Glock except for the frame, slide, and barrel; test fire; and replacement of mags with new mags. In each case, all work done while I waited - usually about 45 minutes. On three occasions, I had them install the Glock OEM night sights - parts and labor $55 (the G19 already had NS). It is good to live in north GA and be able to go by Smyrna.

If you live anywhere near Atlanta, I suggest you take the used G21 to Smryna for inspection.

In my case, the G21 (3rd Generation) had issues with light primer strikes before it was inspected. No issue since.

I have an ACD... Prefix Gen2 that went back to Glock for the upgrades. It has run flawlessly since and was my duty gun before I retired.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    A couple of answers:

1. You can call Glock Technical Support at (770) 432-1202, give them the serial number, and they can tell you what, if any upgrades are due to your specific G21.

2. Any G21s with a serial prefix of "XM" are subject to upgrading.

3. If your G21 hasd a serial prefix of "ALD" or earlier, the breech face and extractor need to have a 15 degree breechface cut, and have the extractor replaced with a 15 degree extractor.

4. There is a good chance that your magazine followers, floor plates, springs, and inserts may need to be replaced with updated ones.

5. There is an addition slide feed rail modification that Glock can perform; I believe that it's in conjunction with #3 above.

There was no "Gen 1" G21-it's either a Gen 2 (no fingergrooves on receiver), a Gen 2.5 (fingergroove receiver but a smooth dustcover with no rail for light attachment), Gen 3 or Gen4. By your description, yours is either a Gen 2 or 2.5.

I'd suggest writing down the serial # and giving Glock a call to see what could be needed to be done, upgrade wise, before committing to the gun.

Best, Jon
    #3 and #5 are advisory, rather than a need in the literal sense. I would shoot it and see. New mags are never a bad idea. Agree with the balance.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Thank you Ranger, that is a good idea. If I decide to get the G21 that is what I'll do.

I had a Gen2 Glock 21. It was probably the best shooting Glock I have ever owned. I sent it in for the update and turn around was about a month. Came back with a new magazine.

Check the trigger bar , if it's an older one I would replace it with the current one 4256-3 iirc. Light strikes were more common with the older ones.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

I've seen a couple of early G21 chip extractors. This apparently has been solved in later models (which I've seen a lot more in numbers), because I've never seen that problem again.

I really like the G21s, specially the SF. They are soft shooting and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    I've seen a couple of early G21 chip extractors. This apparently has been solved in later models (which I've seen a lot more in numbers), because I've never seen that problem again.

I really like the G21s, specially the SF. They are soft shooting and accurate.
    The chipping extractor and subsequent adverse effect it had on reliability was the main complaint that LAV had with the G21 back in the day-I believe that the issue was pretty much resolved when Glock changed the extractor and breechface angle to 15 degrees. My Gen 3 has run fine (and with no chipping) with the OEM extractor for thousands of rounds.

Best, Jon

User Tag List