Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Update from IDPA Headquarters, CCP Division Wins

My experience, applies to those known to carry with some regularity or intentional thought... 3:00 OWB and possibly a 9:00 spare mag prevail in CCW. Where it varies, it's a 4:00 OWB or maybe IWB. Lots of open front garments of all types. Fishing/photo/RR type vests aren't uncommon (mostly cops) but don't seem to last on the same person long. Lots of leather, western, or fleece/softshell vests. Otherwise, it's pull-over somethings. Some variation for weather conditions.

With less regularity or intentional planning, there's more off-body carry, some variation on the above, and whatever was on sale at the gun counter.

This is what's represented at club matches I've shot. Anyone else doing anything else was a small minority.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I've let my IDPA membership lapse, and I haven't shot a match in months. In fact, I think I only shot one match in all of 2014, and that was simply to try to help a sanctioned match get to enough EX shooters for somebody to earn a match bump.

---

IDPA suffers from divisional dilution. They keep subdividing to the field into smaller and smaller groups, and they keep creating more room for debate and angst. If the classification system is valid, striker fired versus single action trigger isn't an issue. One shooter's mutilated frame shouldn't bump him to another division when another shooter's grip tape doesn't. Functionally, they are the same thing.

Make a list of approved modifications. Let 'er rip.

At most, do a capacity/power factor break such as 8+1/160 for one division versus 10+1/125 for the other. Having rules that you don't need lawyers, a judge, and an appellate court to interpret is a good thing, and deep competition pools are an even better thing.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Now that my rant is out of the way, when is the jumping off date for this new division, and is there a definitive link for the rules? I don't see it on the IDPA web page or the IDPA forum.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    The sport should foster creativity and innovation, not stifle it.
    IDPA and USPSA are sports that require rules for their members, which cuts a wide variety of skill levels and capabilities.
    Once something is proven to have popular appeal and can be implemented safely and competitively, it will be adopted.

But I do think a very interesting question is where are the experimental labs for shooting sports? Frank Glover is a good MD who thinks outside the box and supports a wide variety of different kinds of matches. He once told me about a match he hosted that if you hit a non-threat you were DQ'd. His quote: "That slowed them down."

I do think there is a place for equipment and sport innovation, but not in IDPA or USPSA.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    when is the jumping off date for this new division, and is there a definitive link for the rules? I don't see it on the IDPA web page or the IDPA forum.
    From the Eblast sent out from IDPA on 1/19/2015

Once the BoD has reviewed the rules, any last minute changes will be made and the rulebook will be released to the membership on the website during the last week of January. The 2015 rulebook will go into effect March 1st in order for everyone to have an adjustment period. We will be sending more information and the link as we get closer to the final date.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I do think there is a place for equipment and sport innovation, but not in IDPA or USPSA.
    Cody
    Where do you think the idea for RDS on carry guns came from?

Speaking of Frank Glover, I used to shoot some matches in that area that had no classifications and no divisions. Equipment rules were very simple and everybody was in one big pool. I got beat by national champions as well as guys from an obscure corner of Ft. Bragg. Losing to them didn't bother me a bit, in fact, it made me work harder knowing that even if I couldn't beat them I could narrow the gap.

IMO classifications are to prevent butthurt for those who don't shoot very well or very fast. Create enough divisions and classifications and everybody can win.

When I start my Big Boy Rules shooting sport there will be one division, no classifications, and plenty of pain.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    You still can't AIWB, can't carry mags the way a lot of people actually do, and have a totally arbitrary mag cap limit.
    While this forum and others may think of AIWB as mainstream, it is not. The percentage of people who would ACTUALLY otherwise shoot IDPA if only their pet carry position were allowed is statistically insignificant to the IDPA business model.

As Mr White has shown, there is a game and a division for those who wish to carry AIWB, and with dedication one can even be competitive doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post

IMO classifications are to prevent butthurt for those who don't shoot very well or very fast. Create enough divisions and classifications and everybody can win.

So much truth.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    From the Eblast sent out from IDPA on 1/19/2015

Once the BoD has reviewed the rules, any last minute changes will be made and the rulebook will be released to the membership on the website during the last week of January. The 2015 rulebook will go into effect March 1st in order for everyone to have an adjustment period. We will be sending more information and the link as we get closer to the final date.
    Thanks. A local club has a classifier this weekend, and I was thinking of renewing and then shooting it with my M&P45 Midsize to classify in all four pistol divisions.

It's just as well though, with GAPDA bolting and SC not having a state match, there aren't any sanctioned matches that won't involve overnight travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Where do you think the idea for RDS on carry guns came from?

From Kelly McCann. And unless I miss my guess, he was not involved in competitive shooting at the time.

Unless you count the two-way range as "competitive".

User Tag List