Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye and Ear Pro - the Pro's choice?

Eye and Ear Pro - the Pro's choice?

I'm sure there are varying preferences when it comes to eye and ear pro, just like everything else. However, I'm sure there are also some top performers and "good bets." That's what I'm looking for here. Furthermore, I'm hoping to keep it in the range of my promotive deals (for eyewear anyway).

In addition to "tactical" training, my need for PPE (personal protective equipment) extends to shooting 3gun competitions and also working in a local indoor range. We have both pistol and rifle ranges. An AR15 with a brake in an indoor range is deafening and my current Howard Leight electronics are not exceedingly good for this.

Eye Protection:
    Current state: Oakley Fast Jackets with Polarized black and non-polarized persimmon (pink-ish) lenses. Used as primary sunglasses, and also outdoor shooting glasses in daylight. Smith & Wesson cheapo clear glasses. Both of these fog on me with the Smith and Wessons being much more likely to fog and create issues.

Desired state: I'd like to get a set of dedicated shooting glasses with interchangeable lenses for varying light conditions. I'd like them to be comfortable for use with a hat and earpro for all day (8-10hr) use. I don't care so much about using them for regular sunglasses as I already have my Oakleys for that. I can get Promotive deals with the following companies:

Smith, WileyX, Native.

I have a larger, roundish face. Any good recommendations or things to stay away from? All of the above seem to offer some sort of "shooters array."

Ear Protection:
    Current state:Howard Leight Impact Sport electronics. I bought these in 2011 when I took my first Vickers carbine class because electronic earpro was required. I also have a set of like 33DB Howard Leight muffs that I used before that.

Desired state: I like the idea of some sort of active plug design. Muffs can sometimes negatively impact cheekweld when in improvised shooting positions with a rifle or shotgun. I like having active electronic style muffs to hear range commands, timer beeps, etc. Also, when working in the range, I consider it imperative. Lots of stupid people doing stupid things and audio cues (especially when I'm downrange fixing a lane during a "cease fire" and I hear an action cycle) are imperative to my safety and ability to do my job.

This part may require a bit more experimentation. I've tried foamies inside the electronic Leights and that seems to work decently well. The foamies block the braked rifles down a bit, but with the electronic mics turned up I can still hear ambient noise relatively well. I've also thought about running the Surefire plugs inside the Electronic Leights. Would the Surefires be enough by themselves for 3gun matches outside?

I know the Swordins are highly recommended, but before I dropped $300 I wanted to at least get some feedback.

Also worth noting: I've been a drummer for 21 years. Marching band, rock bands, etc. Aside from marching band, most of my playing has been with in-ear monitors studio and live, so my hearing is still pretty good. I'd like to keep what I have left for as long as possible. I guess I say that to say that shoving things in my ears for long periods of time is something I'm familiar and comfortable with.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    For Eye Pro, I prefer something rated to the military's ballistic standards rather than the commercial ANSI Z87.1.

http://www.peosoldier.army.mil/equipment/eyewear/

For ear pro, Sordins with gel cups really are the buy once cry once solution. I bought my first pair Sordins in 2007 and wore them daily on an outdoor LE training range for three years. They finally died in 2014. Early this year, I sent them to SRS tactical who installed the new gel ear cups and a new battery box. Got them back and they are good as new. The Gel ear cups are worth the money both for the comfort and for the improved seal one wearing eye protection.

The nice thing is since you are using them for work, you can at least write them off on your taxes.

Hearing loss is cumulative an irreversible so I try to wear both plugs and earmuffs. If I had to choose one I would go with the earmuffs, especially if you're around something like rifle fire indoors due to bone conduction noise.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_conduction

Re: "Would the Surefires be enough by themselves for 3gun matches outside? I know the Swordins are highly recommended, but before I dropped $300 I wanted to at least get some feedback."

First off.... Surefire Ear Defenders do not offer nearly enough attenuation for rifle comps. Or pistols for that matter. I have permanent bilateral tinnitus and noise induced hearing loss from those plugs. They are a complete fucking abortion and a class action in the making. Buyer beware.

I also have a pair of Sordins and like them as long as you wear plugs too. The Pro X model with gel cups only offer 19dBA attenuation, which kind of sucks for $300. That said, they are very well made and comfortable.

I went the other way though. I had a set of Hear Pro Amp 37 electronic plugs made and wear the thin ProEars passive muffs over them when I shoot. They sit on my head when I'm off the line. For me, this is the best solution. When I used electronic muffs over passive ear plugs I would always end up removing a plug to have a conversation. And I'd get blasted by a comp when I wasn't paying attention. Always having plugs in is the safest way to go.

I recommend Hear Pro because the owner is an active 3 gunner and sponsors a team. My second choice would be Westone. Either way you should have an Audiologist take your impressions so you get a solid fit.

By the way, I wear Oakley Flak Jackets with the XLJ lens for best side coverage.

Site Supporter
    Here is an excellent article on eye pro for shooting.
    http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/eye-...lasses-review/

Site Supporter
    That hear pro plugs look interesting but $1,275.00 is a lot of foamy ear plugs.

Site Supporter
    Has anyone used the Sordin Basics? Haven't seen much on them but their a lot cheaper than some of the higher end MSA's.

WRT eye protection: what do those of you who wear glasses do? I've always worn my regular glasses when shooting. Contacts aren't going to happen.

I've got a neat video from work of my boss getting nailed in the nose last Friday with a bullet fragment. Date night on the range and one of the shooters hit the target runner. You can actually see the fragment coming at him and striking him. Kind of a wake-up call for eye protection.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sboers View Post
    WRT eye protection: what do those of you who wear glasses do? I've always worn my regular glasses when shooting. Contacts aren't going to happen.

I've got a neat video from work of my boss getting nailed in the nose last Friday with a bullet fragment. Date night on the range and one of the shooters hit the target runner. You can actually see the fragment coming at him and striking him. Kind of a wake-up call for eye protection.
    Regular glasses are okay especially with the poly lenses.most optometrists can make RX glasses with safety rated lenses although these are only rated to the ANSI work goggle standard. You may want to get the little add-on side shields for extra protection.Oakley, Wiley X, Rudy Project and I believe Smith all offer their wraparounds with the option of rx inserts. For one stop shopping check out tacticalrx.com.

http://www.tacticalrx.com

I would definitely suggest wraparound type Eye Pro. I had a coworker take a simulation round to the eye after it went over his RX glasses. His regular Rx glasses slid forward as he was hunched forward firing a paintball long gun at trainees through a hole in a plexiglass window. He didn't lose the eye but he did lose some vision. No Bueno.

I'm not particularly qualified to comment on the ear pro, but I feel like the easy (and least expensive) solution to the eye pro question is simply to buy some clear lenses for your existing Oakleys. It'll only cost you $30-50, and you'll be good to go for indoor and outdoor, especially given that you've got a dark and a medium lens for varied light conditions outdoors already.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

I would definitely suggest wraparound type Eye Pro. I had a coworker take a simulation round to the eye after it went over his RX glasses. His regular Rx glasses slid forward as he was hunched forward firing a paintball long gun at trainees through a hole in a plexiglass window. He didn't lose the eye but he did lose some vision. No Bueno.
    Very much agree with this. As an eye-glasses wearer, I bought these "Champion Over Spec Ballistic Glasses" low-price point ($15 off Amazon) in 2013. I actually find them quite comfortable, they fit pretty well over my wire frame glasses. I like the fact they are wrap-around also.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Slight variation on the theme, if the OP will permit: Can we add any suggestions for head-pro to this mix or would it be too far from the topic?

I had a spare fishing ball cap (Theme: "Filet and Release") kicking around in 2013. I just dumped it into my range bag and have been using it ever since at the range and for the two classes I took last year. Am I good to go or do I need to get something more high-speed / low drag (I am more of a low-speed high-drag kind of guy) for shootin'?

Seems like this simple ball-cap does a good job of keeping hot brass off my noggin.

User Tag List