Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: My kingdom for a modern 6-shot .38 snubbie - anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    Ever compared a K frame cylinder in 38 special to a K frame cylinder in 357 mag???
    Or a J frame for that matter...
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    All that drama with the 125 mags is why I keep 158 mags in my m66 snubby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtexan View Post
    I don't understand why S&W hasn't put that superb dovetail rear sight on some of its lighter weight j frames.
    I've thought the same thing many, many times.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If you're going to carry a magnum snubbie, loaded with magnums, you might as well get the full effect. Shoot the bad guy and set him on fire.
    I was running that gun and ammo combo during the '90s, I was also doing a LOT of car stops after dark, and during a time where we had a LOT of violent crime locally. As in a higher per capita crime rate than LA

The 640 was my left hand gun, and was often being gripped when I made a driver's side approach. My plan was to start with the 640 as I backed out of the oh shit zone, and drop it for my duty gun if I needed to.

Anyway, I liked that plan rather well at the time.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Site Supporter
    That sounded like my plan also but I was gonna use a 340pd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Those were rather low recoil actually. It was the cases of 125gr, the bunches of 158-180gr, the .44s, .45s.............. that did me in.

Yep. You probably hardly noticed them at the time, but years later they start taking their revenge. Funny how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I think he was implying if you start with a clean sheet of paper you can make the .38 cylinder smaller since the round is lower pressure. I guess the go-to example would be the LCR. Not only does the magnum use steel instead of aluminum for the upper frame but I think the cylinder is fatter across the length of it. The 38 LCR cylinder is, TBH, almost too skinny looking toward the front. They shaved a *lot* of metal off that thing compared to a comparable S&W J-frame cylinder, and the final product shows it.
    look at the rear of a loaded 38/357 K frame cylinder the rims are almost touching...the K frame is about as small of a form factor as you are gonna git with a six shot 38/357

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    I think he was implying if you start with a clean sheet of paper you can make the .38 cylinder smaller since the round is lower pressure. I guess the go-to example would be the LCR. Not only does the magnum use steel instead of aluminum for the upper frame but I think the cylinder is fatter across the length of it. The 38 LCR cylinder is, TBH, almost too skinny looking toward the front. They shaved a *lot* of metal off that thing compared to a comparable S&W J-frame cylinder, and the final product shows it.
    Those particular types of cylinder flutes are not unique to the LCR, nor is Ruger the first to use that design style. High Standard did that about 55 years ago.
    The pressure issues on the cylinders are not in the cosmetic features of the cylinders, but calculated into the thickness of the steel between the cylinder walls and the outside of the cylinder as well as the type of steel used.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Sadly they are no longer in production, but if you are looking for a six shot snubby and can find one, I'd snap it up....

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...ategory=Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Ad Orientem View Post
    Sadly they are no longer in production, but if you are looking for a six shot snubby and can find one, I'd snap it up....

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...ategory=Pistol
    Lol, of course. Why is it that Taurus has so many neat ideas, but is so incompetent they'd fuck up a wet dream?

User Tag List