Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fine vintage shooting irons in my Social Levergun

Fine vintage shooting irons in my Social Levergun

The slung rifle is a Winchester 1894 produced in 1904. The rifle being shot is an Australian military Martini Cadet.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Excellent!

Are you using the tactical single point sling mount on the Winchester? They are often mistakenly called a "saddle ring". Not joking, they were never inteded to be attached to a saddle, they were intended to be attached to a single point sling on a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Excellent!

Are you using the tactical single point sling mount on the Winchester? They are often mistakenly called a "saddle ring". Not joking, they were never inteded to be attached to a saddle, they were intended to be attached to a single point sling on a person.

That's not me in the picture. He wasn't using the "saddle ring". It's a Proctor sling.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Chief Weems, I'd love to hear some about your lever gun class, sounds awesome. Other threads here have been tempting me to get a Marlin 336 to play around with, never owned a lever gun.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    Chief Weems, I'd love to hear some about your lever gun class, sounds awesome. Other threads here have been tempting me to get a Marlin 336 to play around with, never owned a lever gun.
    I ran this class a four-hour session focussing on the operation/manipulation of the levergun. A lot of time was spent on loading techniques to start it off with some shoot-offs amongst the group. Then we shoot a good number of discretionary drills where they had to identify targets and process information while shooting to include shoot/don't shoot decisions.

I'm going to retool the format a little for this class and start working on a class that involves more scenarios and tactics that would be a follow-on course.

Would it be possible to get a video of your class at some point? I cant realistically attend one in the forseeable future, but it would be worth something to me to have a video, even if not pro type quality.

Are you finding any sight visibility enhancements that can be recommended? My 92 carbine front sight had been dimpled for a spot of white paint. I filled it with bright orange, which stands out at dusk. I'm thinking of doing some other lever action sights that way. Its more visible than my old favorite, the sourdough blade.

I'm thinking on a way to cleanly add night sights to a lever action.
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-18-2015 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Would it be possible to get a video of your class at some point? I cant realistically attend one in the forseeable future, but it would be worth something to me to have a video, even if not pro type quality.

Are you finding any sight visibility enhancements that can be recommended? My 92 carbine front sight had been dimpled for a spot of white paint. I filled it with bright orange, which stands out at dusk. I'm thinking of doing some other lever action sights that way. Its more visible than my old favorite, the sourdough blade.

I'm thinking on a way to cleanly add night sights to a lever action.
    A shaky iPhone video would be about the best I could manage.

The loading techniques and operations are simply adaptations of the same techniques used to run a pump shotgun.

Both of my leverguns have the factory sights. Also, you are talking to a guy that runs his ARs with irons... I haven't tried any of the other sight options, but something along the lines of ghost rings would be to my liking.

I like irons on AR's also. I've scoped them, but its more for longer distance shooting or varmint hunting.

I usually put a receiver peep sight on most of my lever actions. I like the sight picture. Any of the common ones without an aperture gives the ghost ring effect. I like the Lymans, mostly the older number 56's because of the looks (I think they were made from the early 30's to late 50's). They're all steel also. The newer Lyman 66's and Williams Foolproof sights are both good, pretty clean, and simple to zero. They are both aluminum alloy. I like the side mounts over the top mounts, even if I were going to pout it on an angle eject. They look better. I'd deal with drilling and tapping an angle eject to put a side mount receiver peep sight on it. Just me. The normal side mounts have never needed a taller front sight in my use of them.

The sourdoughs are just a square blade sight with an angled brass face to help catch light in low light situations. They are a bit sturdier than bead sights also. They made them for ramps, barrel dovetails, or simple blades for the early type carbines.

A sourdough blade fitted into an early type carbine base.

One of the Lymans on a 1920's 94

Last edited by Malamute; 01-18-2015 at 09:05 PM.

Thank you for the neat photo, Chief. There will always be a soft spot in my heart for a centerfire levergun.

Or a rimfire one, now that I think of it.

I hope everyone had a great time at your class.

You know sir, I don't think flying to your neck of the woods to take your levergun class is in the cards for me anytime soon, but I'd sure plunk down some money for a DVD of the class. I wonder if there is an opportunity here? Everybody and their Delta Force cousin is teaching AR centric classes, and there are plenty of videos, but leverguns? not so much...

User Tag List