Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: American Sniper

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I thought the movie was pretty disappointing. Unlike Lone Survivor, it seemed that a lot of the military accuracy really got flushed down the toilet. Acting was pretty bad too. Good thing I didn't pay anything to see it....

also.... 1000+ yard shots with an SVD? color me skeptical...

We are diminished
    Just saw it with a good friend. I liked it. I wasn't expecting it to compress years and years of anyone's life into two hours and get every poignant moment or every thought and word. To me, it showed someone who was incredibly skilled, incredibly dedicated to his fellow servicemen, who truly loved his family but was in a place mentally/emotionally where it was hard to convey that in a way they understood. I thought they did a great job at showing the effect the war was having on him without making him look weak or hopeless or less heroic for it.

My wife had never heard the story before and Google'd it last night. She started crying when she learned how he died. I told her that he died doing what he'd always done, trying to help a fellow American in spite of the risk and cost to himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I thought the movie was pretty disappointing. Unlike Lone Survivor, it seemed that a lot of the military accuracy really got flushed down the toilet. Acting was pretty bad too. Good thing I didn't pay anything to see it....

also.... 1000+ yard shots with an SVD? color me skeptical...
    Keep in mind there's a difference between effective fire at 1000 yards, and precision fire with a 90% hit rate at 1000 yards.

Even still, according to Wikipedia, the SVD has similar accuracy requirements to the M24 and M110 when using 7N1....so, 1000 yard shots are entirely realistic for the weapon. Whether you had 7N1 and/or the shooter to make use of the tools, well, that's another thing entirely.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by walker2713 View Post
    We saw it last night, and enjoyed it...thought overall it was very well done. Theater was sold out/packed.

At a critical point where Kyle makes an exceptional long shot, with fatal consequence for the haji, cheers and clapping broke out throughout the theater, and from back of us I heard a loud "HOOAH!"
    We must've been in the same theater despite being several states apart.

The NPR announcers sounded like they were chewing on cat turds when they had to concede this bit of news.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    We must've been in the same theater despite being several states apart.
    Line for the mall theater in Minot ND yesterday was about 200 yards long.

Looking forward to the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Michael Moore has blessed us with an opinion.................
    http://dailycaller.com/2015/01/18/mi...e-as-a-coward/
    The bravest thing Michael Moore has ever done is storm the flanks of the Sizzler all you can eat buffet, catching some gravy burns in the process. He was awarded the Purple Spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Michael Moore has blessed us with an opinion.................
    http://dailycaller.com/2015/01/18/mi...e-as-a-coward/
    Moore's a no-class dirtbag who'll say anything to get the attention his mama wouldn't give him. I wouldn't piss in his mouth if his teeth were on fire.

Just got back from seeing this movie. I have mixed emotions about it. It was the first time I think I've ever been to a movie where there was complete silence from the audience when they were leaving. Overall I think it was good, but not great, and Cooper did a good job. This just wasn't an instant classic to me. This did a good job on the message (as Todd mentions), but it did seem very rushed. I usually don't get hung up on technical stuff, so any gripe I have with the movie wouldn't be around that. I was a bit bothered by the scene with where Kyle was holding the single action pistol...from a gun safety perspective. I also thought the slo-mo bullet scene was a bit much. I wish someone could get a good slo-mo bullet trace in a movie. There are plenty of yahoos on youtube that can put one together, so it feels like it could happen. I think that would have been pretty cool. Lastly, could Bradley Cooper head have looked any bigger in that helmet?

Well if moore and the left hate it, it must be good. I have to see in now!

Quote Originally Posted by rudy99 View Post
    It was the first time I think I've ever been to a movie where there was complete silence from the audience when they were leaving.
    The only other two movies I can think of off the top of my head where the audience sat silent through the closing credits are Act of Valor (a small matinee crowd) and Schindler's List.

User Tag List