Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New ATF guidance on SB15 braces.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I predict CAA saddle sales to skyrocket
    All of 5 minutes after I read the ruling.

This opens up a whole new can of worms, though. If usage counts as 'redesigning' a weapon, does using two hands on a pistol then redesign it as an AOW?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    This opens up a whole new can of worms, though. If usage counts as 'redesigning' a weapon, does using two hands on a pistol then redesign it as an AOW?
    There's a judicial ruling looming in the distance, but some poor bastige is gonna get ground in the gears to make it happen.

The NFA is extraordinarily poorly-written law, and the Swiss-cheesing it took to make it pass only made it more attackable. The right straw hasn't been put on the camel's back yet.

Machine guns and suppressors will hold and require legislative remedies, but the SBR/SBS regs are an artifact of an earlier version of the legislation that was elided. They're standing on air.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I want to be mad at the ATF for this. But I can't. I'm mad at the idiots who wrote all those "mother may I" letters about putting SB15s on Glocks and shotguns that clearly intended to end-run the NFA.

More thoughts here.
    I'm pretty sure it had a lot more to do with someone at ATF making a mistake, from their point of view, last spring and the agency taking too long of a time in figuring how to walk it back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I'm pretty sure it had a lot more to do with someone at ATF making a mistake, from their point of view, last spring and the agency taking too long of a time in figuring how to walk it back.
    Yup. The needle of "But but... they got around one of our laws and now they can easily get GUNS!" versus "But but... Americans with Disabilities Act!" took a while to thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I'd better go register aow-forum.com.

Sounds like a plan...

I figured this would happen eventually. My two favorite scenarios were 1) Somebody committing a mass shooting with a Sig-brace equipped blaster, thus igniting screams about the "machine gun loophole*" or 2) one of Bloomberg's cronies seeing one too many youtube videos of people bragging about how how they were getting around the NFA with the Sig-Brace, thus igniting screams about the "machine gun loophole."

Instead it sounds like everybody asked the ATF "mother may I" one too many times, and some body noticed. I think they are regretting this decision and their decision that "it's not a stock unless you use it as a stock" as the equivalent of closing their eyes, putting their hands over their ears and saying "lalalalalalalala" in the hopes the problem will go away.

I'd imagine there was a discussion on reversing their position on the arm braces entirely and ruling the whole thing in violation of the NFA. The only time I can think of where something similar happened was back in either the late 80's or early 90's where they deemed certain shotguns were "destructive devices" after all. The difference here is not very many Streetsweepers and such were sold, and it probably didn't take very much overtime to follow the paper trails on those guns to account for all of them.

I don't know how many of these Sig-brace equipped guns have been assembled and sold, but I'm guessing it's way too many to effectively control, and instead of pissing off a few dozen people, it would go well into the tens of thousands, so it would be very difficult to handle quietly, so the question would get asked why they allowed the "Machine Gun Loophole" in the first place.

Interesting times. Like I've said before, I wouldn't get caught in a youtube video firing one from the shoulder.

* I know there are no actual machineguns involved here, but the other side wouldn't find that "The Short Barreled Rifle Loophole" had quite the same ring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I'd imagine there was a discussion on reversing their position on the arm braces entirely and ruling the whole thing in violation of the NFA. The only time I can think of where something similar happened was back in either the late 80's or early 90's where they deemed certain shotguns were "destructive devices" after all. The difference here is not very many Streetsweepers and such were sold, and it probably didn't take very much overtime to follow the paper trails on those guns to account for all of them.
    Well that, and Sig has shown the willingness to call the ATF on their BS.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    Well that, and Sig has shown the willingness to call the ATF on their BS.
    That's a fair point. The gun industry is much more willing to put their knife in the ground and fight than they were back in the bad old days when most of the mainstream gun companies bent over for the assault weapons ban and such. Now EVERYBODY has a piece of the black rifle pie.

Really, it's in both Sigs and the ATFs best interest to not let this blow up into a Thing. Sig has many dollars at stack, and the ATF would like to avoid another round of public flogging. I think what will really screw the pooch is if the Anti's jump in on this one.

From Moneyball: "When you get the answer you're looking for, hang up."
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List