Page 167 of 169 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169 LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 1685

Thread: Airplanes

Interesting morning at the airport. Guy in a Navajo had an engine failure at V1, and was able to abort his takeoff. Glad it didn't happen at 100 feet AGL. When we were done flying, a V22 came taxiing by just behind us, and I was worried about their blast as we had the doors off and the blades weren't restrained. Turns out, there was basically no wash, as you can see in the video.

Here they are departing off the runway.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Just to add to @GJMs post. While V22 rotor wash is very localized due to the small rotor arcs, when providing lift, the wash is pretty intense. After being directly underneath both, the V22 has a stronger feeling downwash than the H-53 as it’s more localized. I’ve noticed it doesn’t roll out as much as traditional helos, and has a more ’now you're in it- now you’re out’ kinda feel.

Bottom line- I wouldn’t underestimate any close prop, jet, or rotor wash.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Doesn't Everts Air still use the DC-4? Reckon it was one of theirs?
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Doesn't Everts Air still use the DC-4? Reckon it was one of theirs?
    Pretty sure they have C-46 and DC-6 aircraft for delivering fuel in remote AK, but don't know about the plane that crashed, which I believe is a DC-4.

Pretty sure they have C-46 and DC-6 aircraft for delivering fuel in remote AK, but don't know about the plane that crashed, which I believe is a DC-4.
    From FAI newspaper website:

The Douglas DC-4 is an Alaska Air Fuel Inc. plane based out of Wasilla. An Alaska Air Fuel employee told the News-Miner that they are not familiar with the incident.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Flying up there and flying up there with some of the equipment still in service can be very unforgiving.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Flying up there and flying up there with some of the equipment still in service can be very unforgiving.
    More info here:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pilot-rep...184016955.html

Snippet:

The plane departed Fairbanks just before 10 a.m., loaded with 3,200 gallons (12,100 litres) of heating oil for Kobuk, an Inupiat village of less than 200 people located about 300 miles (480 kilometers) northwest of Fairbanks.

Johnson said there was also about 1,200 gallons of aviation fuel aboard the C54D-DC Skymaster plane, a World War II-era airplane that had been converted to a freighter.

It is difficult and expensive to get fuel to rural Alaska villages, which are remote and difficult to reach because of the state’s limited road system. The Northwest Arctic Borough said heating fuel in Kobuk was $15.45 a gallon in 2022.

Dog isn't the best description. Snake ready to bite a pilot not versed in the 520/600 might be a better description. Two of my friends were doing a VNE test (1.1 times published VNE) over TX when the ship rolled nearly upside down and about killed them. Yaw instability is an issue at high speed and you better keep the helicopter in trim. At low speed the NOTAR loses authority. Pretty capable machines but not ones you jump from different type helicopter to helicopter.
    Interesting conversation this morning. We flew a Jet Ranger a few hours into town this morning, and handed it over to another pilot. He was retired from the CBP, and flew the MD 600 for many years. Has about 3,500 hours in a 700 and at one point was the highest time 600 pilot in CBP. Said he really liked the machine, and it had jobs of power, but it had edges ready to bite those not familiar with the 600 or those that strayed out of the envelope.

The Jet Ranger is going to a large ranch to do cowboy stuff and back up another Jet Ranger.

User Tag List