Page 12 of 170 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Airplanes

Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

My Dad was a Naval Aviator back in the 60's. Played hide and seek with Russian subs in the Pacific and did a couple deployments to 'Nam. Flew the P2V Neptune. Not as popular as the P-3, but a long history of military service. Still going strong as a wild fire aircraft, IIRC.

Attachment 5419
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

During past summers, our IDPA matches would occasionally get buzzed by a Super Cub flown by the neighbor of two of the shooters.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    My Dad was a Naval Aviator back in the 60's. Played hide and seek with Russian subs in the Pacific and did a couple deployments to 'Nam. Flew the P2V Neptune. Not as popular as the P-3, but a long history of military service. Still going strong as a wild fire aircraft, IIRC.

Attachment 5419
    The PBY Catalina is also still going strong as a water bomber for wildfires. The Cat may have been big, slow, and cumbersome, but it was a crucial plane in WWII, finding the Bismarck and the Japanese fleet heading for Midway among other actions which included countless SAR missions.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by will_1400 View Post
    The PBY Catalina is also still going strong as a water bomber for wildfires. The Cat may have been big, slow, and cumbersome, but it was a crucial plane in WWII, finding the Bismarck and the Japanese fleet heading for Midway among other actions which included countless SAR missions.

Love the Catalina. Used to read about the Black Cat Squadrons when I was a kid.

Attachment 5422

http://www.daveswarbirds.com/blackcat/
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Brings to mind a TV series called Tales of the Gold Monkey that featured a Grumman G-21 Goose.

Last edited by NEPAKevin; 01-13-2016 at 01:42 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I haz a sad, because back in '07 we went to the Museum of Flight with Mrs. Drangs father, and most of the pics I took seem to have disappeared. 909 (FKA Aluminum Overcast), Tondalayo, and, um, a B24 whose name at the time I cannot recall...
    OTOH, I got to live out my 12 O'Clock High fantasies:
    Name:  909 Waist Gun.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  87.7 KB
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Cool picture Drang!

My father-in-law, now deceased, was a waist gunner on B17s flying out of England when it didn't appear possible to survive the 25 missions. He was the only surviving member of his crew. On the mission the plane was lost, he had been pulled to work a gun cleaning detail and a newbie gunner was assigned for that flight. His plane was shot down with no survivors. He flew the remainder of the war and never got a scratch. It just wasn't his time to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I haz a sad, because back in '07 we went to the Museum of Flight with Mrs. Drangs father, and most of the pics I took seem to have disappeared. 909 (FKA Aluminum Overcast), Tondalayo, and, um, a B24 whose name at the time I cannot recall...
    OTOH, I got to live out my 12 O'Clock High fantasies:
    909 is the Collings Foundation B-17. Aluminum Overcast is the EAA's. Both are still going strong.

Here is Aluminum Overcast right after it had been donated to the EAA. It had been used as a sprayer and for mapping. My dad took this in the late 70's.

Name:  img069.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  47.8 KB
    Last edited by TC215; 01-13-2016 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    909 is the Collings Foundation B-17. Aluminum Overcast is the EAA's.
    You are correct, and I have no idea how I got the two confused. (But I think I'll go with insufficient coffee as a plausible excuse.)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List