Page 169 of 169 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 1690

Thread: Airplanes

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Boeing needs to get back to making airplanes, and airlines need to get back to flying airplanes. What’s going on today in the industry is anything but.
    https://aviationweek.com/aerospace/a...aft-affordable

About a slow, bloated development process compared to others.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    https://aviationweek.com/aerospace/a...aft-affordable

About a slow, bloated development process compared to others.
    If they don’t design and build new airplanes every so often, won’t they lose the skills to do it?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    If they don’t design and build new airplanes every so often, won’t they lose the skills to do it?
    It is not just the skills, it is the courage. Textron has done much innovating with their single engine and light jet products lately.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It is not just the skills, it is the courage. Textron has done much innovating with their single engine and light jet products lately.
    I read something a while back that the Brits had hired Electric Boat to help design a new class of submarines. The Brits once designed their own, but as their need for them dropped and they built fewer, they lost the ability to design them.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Embraer is contemplating a new narrow body to compete with the current Airbus and Boeing designs. Looking for partners. They have an interesting two engine jet military transport that countries are buying in small numbers. They are hoping for a big buy from India.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embraer_C-390_Millennium
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

News Helicopter Anti-collision Procedure

Helicopter Gurus:

I'm curious about a "formation" of dissimilar news ships I observed flying in close trail earlier today. All three were co-altitude and basically flying in follow-the-leader fashion in circular orbit around an accident. Jet Ranger, EC-135 and an A-Star representing competing stations in the Bay Area. This went on for probably a dozen or more orbits. When the leader altered the orbit, wingmen followed.

I recall the mishap in Phoenix between two ships covering a ground event, among several others.

Is this a recent tactic being promoted by HAI or other industry group? FAA? Does it have a proper name?

Not a RW guy.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    ... Jet Ranger, EC-135 and an A-Star representing competing stations in the Bay Area. This went on for probably a dozen or more orbits. When the leader altered the orbit, wingmen followed.
    As a former SAC guy, I was thinking that sure must be an odd formation, and then I was wondering what news station has an EC-135, and what would they do with it.

Then it dawned on me, perhaps somebody makes a helo also named EC-135 which would not be the EC-135 I was thinking about.

Boeing EC-135 Airborne Command Post https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_EC-135

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post

Then it dawned on me, perhaps somebody makes a helo also named EC-135 which would not be the EC-135 I was thinking about.
    Yeah, not the TACAMO, ABNCAP thing. This:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...9185182%29.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    Helicopter Gurus:

I'm curious about a "formation" of dissimilar news ships I observed flying in close trail earlier today. All three were co-altitude and basically flying in follow-the-leader fashion in circular orbit around an accident. Jet Ranger, EC-135 and an A-Star representing competing stations in the Bay Area. This went on for probably a dozen or more orbits. When the leader altered the orbit, wingmen followed.

I recall the mishap in Phoenix between two ships covering a ground event, among several others.

Is this a recent tactic being promoted by HAI or other industry group? FAA? Does it have a proper name?

Not a RW guy.

Thanks.
    Out of curiosity, how far above ground level, about how fast, and were they making left or right turns?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Out of curiosity, how far above ground level, about how fast, and were they making left or right turns?
    500' to 1,000' AGL. Left turn ovals of varying length, following a busy two-lane highway in the canyon. <100 kts.

I did find the radar track of one of the helicopters on FlightRadar, a Jet Ranger 505 (no N-number). Maybe ATC asked the other two to squawk STBY.

Maybe they're filming the sequel to Blue Thunder.

User Tag List