Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unhealthy Obsession? Pistol Accuracy...

Ammo... start reloading and find what works, I reload 45's and with stock DA/SA HK45's can do decent 25 yard slow fire groups.
    25 rounds in a row on a B8 Target with the Full size HK 45 and 25 out of 26 with the compact is to date my best effort.
    I am also Obsessed with accuracy have done 25 in a row with my stock DA/SA P30l but with factory ball ammo groups not as tight.

Stock HK 45 (25) yards 10 rounds 3" group
    Nosler 185 Grain Bullets
    5.4 Grains Tight Group Powder
    Starline brass

Try some of this stuff if you don't want to reload http://store.asym-ammo.com/9mm_s/94.htm

12:25 on the video red plate is 50 yards away and only 5" Target he hits it 5 times in a row with a VP9.
    Factory Ball Ammo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n_VSwSlKts

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I'm on the opposite side of the fence: I think people make too little of a pistol/ammo's inherent accuracy. No matter how good you are, your pistol and ammo can only add to the dispersion of your shots. The less they add, the more good hits you'll achieve all else being equal.

That's why I think there's a big difference between a 4"@25 gun and a 2"@25 gun. Will it matter under most practical circumstances? No. But since you can never shoot better than the gun & ammo's inherent level of accuracy, why sacrifice when you don't have to?
    IMO ToddG's comment makes very good sense.

Perhaps it's a matter of perspective. I was talking with a buddy recently about the accuracy issues with some M&P pistols. He repeated the often heard statement that 'most gunfights are within 7 yards' and asked why one would be all that concerned with accuracy out at 25 yards. I'm a hunter. So is my friend. Big game shots out to the 40-50 yard range with bow and when hunting turkeys with a shotgun are reasonable for me. (Depending on conditions.) When you're used to a range of about 40 yards for this particular type of hunting 25 yards looks very close. -- If you mark out 25 yards and imagine an active shooter situation in some public area, it doesn't seem to be unreasonable to expect a pistol to be mechanically capable of good accuracy

If you can't shoot, even with your best efforts, in slow fire, to fairly near the level of a pistol's innate precision, then the inherent precision of the gun means little for you.

OTOH, if a gun has high precision and you can utilize that precision well, your task is simply to learn to shoot faster and more consistently.

I have absolutely no interest in guns with poor precision. Accuracy I can adjust for with sight manipulation, but poor precision makes a gun practically useless for me, and I've certainly never carried a gun with inadequate precision.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by givo08 View Post
    That's not how it works, the two variations are additive.
    Bingo. Your gun/ammo inherent "extreme spread" gets added to your skill "extreme spread" with every shot you take.

Sure, they could cancel each out sometimes (gun shoots left, you pull right) but over the long run statistically a 4" gun will shoot bigger groups than a 2" gun in anyone's hands.

On the ammo part of the equation, I have multiple Gen 3, Glock 17 pistols with OEM barrels that love Lawman 115 TMJ at 25-100 yards. SGA has been selling it for about $229/1000.

It is snappy but on par accuracy wise with Gold Dot 124+P ammo.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    On the ammo part of the equation, I have multiple Gen 3, Glock 17 pistols with OEM barrels that love Lawman 115 TMJ at 25-100 yards. SGA has been selling it for about $229/1000.

It is snappy but on par accuracy wise with Gold Dot 124+P ammo.
    Good stuff and 1200 FPS at the muzzle.

This is the image I have in my head when talking about trying a Sig P226 SAO:

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

WOW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    This is the image I have in my head when talking about trying a Sig P226 SAO:

Must be a Grayguns.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List