Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a Colt DA Revolver: Bad Idea ?

Carrying a Colt DA Revolver: Bad Idea ?

Hello everyone - I confess - I like wheel guns I know about their disadvantages, but sometimes carry a revolver as my concealed carry piece.

I've never owned a Colt double action revolver, though I really appreciate the ones I have had the opportunity to examine. I've always wanted one. At this point, I'm not looking to buy guns for strictly collecting, however. They need to be a viable carry gun - even if such use would be occasional. I have the opportunity to get a Colt Diamondback or Lawman Mk III. (I understand the Mk III action is not as delicate as the former, but less refined. This reflects my own experience handling the two guns.) Does poor parts availability and lack of qualified gunsmiths make these revolvers a 'No Go' as carry guns ? How do the two Colts I mentioned above compare to one another in this regard ?

I look forward to hearing your opinions on this. Thank you -

Lots of qualified folks use Colt revolvers; but the ones I know of are all older examples (the users as well as the revolvers ) with years of use... i.e., proven.

Colt wheel guns are, generally, quite a bit more finicky than Smiths or Rugers and tend to need more attention if shot a lot... and the number of truly competent Colt revolver mechanics in this country can, these days, probably be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Just food for thought...

I scored an unfired police positive a few years back, and had Frank Glenn give it the once over, shorten the barrel, regulate the front sight, etc. He said the action was solid, and needed no work for the low volume shooting it will see. The colt action feels great to this revolver novice, and it carries really well, IWB. It's a little chubbier in the pocket due to the cylinder and I didn't bob the hammer so it rarely sees pocket time.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Lots of qualified folks use Colt revolvers; but the ones I know of are all older examples (the users as well as the revolvers ) with years of use... i.e., proven.

Colt wheel guns are, generally, quite a bit more finicky than Smiths or Rugers and tend to need more attention if shot a lot... and the number of truly competent Colt revolver mechanics in this country can, these days, probably be counted on the fingers of one hand.

Just food for thought...

I concur that the biggest problem you're most likely to run into with carrying a Colt in this day and age is that if it breaks, it's going to be very difficult to find someone with the skill and time to repair it. My wife has a Colt Cobra that I'll sometimes carry, and it's a nice gun to shoot with a great trigger, especially when I'm just pushing 148 grain wadcutters out of it. But...as a serious carry gun, it doesn't make a lot of sense when I can get a well built Ruger or S&W with modern sights and a trigger just as good (with a little work). If my SP101 or LCR goes down, I know I can get it fixed in no time, and the same goes for my j-frames.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I scored an unfired police positive a few years back, and had Frank Glenn give it the once over, shorten the barrel, regulate the front sight, etc. He said the action was solid, and needed no work for the low volume shooting it will see. The colt action feels great to this revolver novice, and it carries really well, IWB. It's a little chubbier in the pocket due to the cylinder and I didn't bob the hammer so it rarely sees pocket time.

That, sir, is a jewel; a true snubby with a full-length ejector rod. Score yourself a DS hammer shroud and Tyler T-grip for it, and your life will be compleat...

BTW... Brother Glenn is one of those five wizards I mentioned earlier.

What is the inscription on the cylinder?

In the '80's I was digging D-frames and dry fired, shot and carried a couple. I shot a couple of them out of time in fairly short order. In hindsight I should have foregone the DA dry firing; using my K frames for that instead.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Thank you everyone for your comments. I appreciate it.

Well, I'm not a gunsmith, don't have a Colt 'smith in the family, and don't want to throw tons of money at 'smiths to keep my
    wheel guns running properly. It's looking like a D frame Colt may not be the best choice for me.

What's your opinion of a Mk III for the occasional carry use that I mentioned ?
    Thanks again for your very helpful input.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post

What is the inscription on the cylinder?
    It's "Glenn-Custom". It matches his mark on one of my Colt 1911's

I have my first real custom revolver project over at Frank's shop now. The S&W M28 should be near completion any day now...

Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    What's your opinion of a Mk III for the occasional carry use that I mentioned ?
    An N frame S&W will give you a better trigger and serviceability (that is, you can get it fixed) for the same size and weight.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    It's "Glenn-Custom". It matches his mark on one of my Colt 1911's

Got it, thanks.

User Tag List