Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Update/decisions on the G42 vs. 642/442

I was handling a 42 the other day, and thought... "a .22 Glock in this size would be the cat's meow."

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    My G42 shoots very accurately, has been reliable so far, and it rides nicely in my DSG holster clipped inside my shorts or gym pants.

My 642s still make better pocket and ankle guns. I'll keep all of the above.
    Thanks Chuck. You said it much better than I did. I'm not selling the G42. It just didn't work out as well on the ankle and pocket as I wanted. I'd buy one in .22 tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    it is an oversized 380, but people excuse its uselss round because its a glock.. I get his point of view.

If we look at the historical sizes of 380's , the 42 is oversized as a 380 like a G19 is oversized as a 9mm.

or maybe it's more shootable than an LCP like a 19 is more shootable than a LC9
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    If we look at the historical sizes of 380's , the 42 is oversized as a 380 like a G19 is oversized as a 9mm.

or maybe it's more shootable than an LCP like a 19 is more shootable than a LC9
    Your comparison is for shootability, not effectiveness of the round. 380 is a bad compromise, regardless the size of the gun it's put in. I hope there will be a round developed that changes that.

While a .380 is not a service caliber, I have seen a number of defensive gun uses where the .380 was rather effective. And not a few street shootings with the round either.

No, it's not a 9mm, but I can't wear any 9mm clipped inside my gym shorts. Therefor this particular .380 has a mission for me.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Your comparison is for shootability, not effectiveness of the round. 380 is a bad compromise, regardless the size of the gun it's put in. I hope there will be a round developed that changes that.

The difference between 380 and 9mm is at least a hundred thousand times less than the difference between 380 and the finger gun going pew pew that most of the people I've come across carrying 42's where carrying previously. I'm not a fan really but do like to see people carry who weren't carrying. People who are never going to carry a bigger gun as a matter of course.

i don't own one nor am I likely too. Nonetheless the hipster hatred for the 42 doesn't make too much sense to me.

And isn't shootability one of the big selling points of 9mm over for example 40. Which Buford Boone seemed to think was better as I understood his post on LF.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Site Supporter
    I've got 42 that I haven't wrung out yet, but normal pocket guns are a 642 or 432. However about finger guns that go PEW - well, I have a NAA 22 Mag mini with a 1 5/8 inch barrel. I shot it with a hot load for that round in an indoor range a few years ago between the lane walls. Well, I thought I blew up. I felt my hair pressed back against my head, gas pressure under my glasses and a flash! I slammed my eyes shut. It was most like a Noisy Cricket then a PEW, PEW. Whether it is efficacious is a debate but it sure scared me.

I grant you my NAA 22S mini is not a titan. I bought it because it was so cute and not expensive at the time.

While a .380 is not a service caliber, I have seen a number of defensive gun uses where the .380 was rather effective. And not a few street shootings with the round either.

No, it's not a 9mm, but I can't wear any 9mm clipped inside my gym shorts. Therefor this particular .380 has a mission for me.
    Mr. Haggard, quick question...

Did you see FMJ's and HP's? Based on what you've seen do you prefer FMJ or HP in your 380?

Yes. Some seem to forget that the .380 actually has a pretty good record behind it and was a very popular LE weapon for a big part of the 20th century. Is it as good as some other rounds? No, but "not as good" does not equal "is not any good".
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    Yes. Some seem to forget that the .380 actually has a pretty good record behind it and was a very popular LE weapon for a big part of the 20th century. Is it as good as some other rounds? No, but "not as good" does not equal "is not any good".
    And compared to a .25...well it's like a brick through a plate glass window

User Tag List