Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR crapped the bed

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Yeah… why? Something about the LCR that makes dry-firing detrimental?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggas3ZCOsFw

If the video is an accurate representation of the LCR's guts I wouldn't worry about it overmuch. It appears the fp bushing is a threaded two-piece job. Probably just shipped from the factory with no threadlocker?

edit: 1:03 is where the virtual part gets removed. This is apparently a video game? There are games where you do full point and click disassembly of random guns?

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggas3ZCOsFw

If the video is an accurate representation of the LCR's guts I wouldn't worry about it overmuch. It appears the fp bushing is a threaded two-piece job. Probably just shipped from the factory with no threadlocker?

edit: 1:03 is where the virtual part gets removed. This is apparently a video game? There are games where you do full point and click disassembly of random guns?
    After it fell out I did notice some blue loctite on the threads. It's on its way back to me and should have it Tuesday .

Good to hear it! I just can't see any reason to not use snap caps? I guess I just think it's a good idea to be able to eliminate a factor when determining why something may of went wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by vaglocker View Post
    no snap caps, but I expect any modern revolver (or any modern pistol sans .22) to be able to be dry fired without damage. Especially when the manufacturer says so in the manual. I'm sure I just drew the short straw on QC with my particular LCR. I'm not pissed as I realize any new firearm can have issues it looks like it was just my turn.
    Just as an FYI, I own the LCR .22 and dry fire it all the time. Not a problem, even for that specific model, according to Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Good to hear it! I just can't see any reason to not use snap caps? I guess I just think it's a good idea to be able to eliminate a factor when determining why something may of went wrong...
    That's certainly one way to look at it and I don't really know that it's right or wrong. The way I see it, if the bushing came out during dryfire, how would it act under recoil? Especially with heavy or hot defensive loads. If a piece of equipment fails under light duty applications in my mind it can't be trusted for it's intended purpose.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

When I had to send my LCP back to Ruger, IIRC, it was around/under a week turnaround. They will make it right, sorry to hear it though.

I dry fire my LCR a good bit (no snap caps), only recall the manual saying something on lubing it after so many rounds or dry fire.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    That's certainly one way to look at it and I don't really know that it's right or wrong. The way I see it, if the bushing came out during dryfire, how would it act under recoil? Especially with heavy or hot defensive loads. If a piece of equipment fails under light duty applications in my mind it can't be trusted for it's intended purpose.
    Oh I completely agree with you. I hope ruger explains what happened as I found my ruger is be durable and accurate.

I just can't see any reason to not use snap caps?
    So, you don't have any information to indicate that not using snap caps (in revolver dry-firing in general, or the LCR in particular?) is bad?

I never said it was bad? I said it's a good idea to use them and then explained in a previous post why. Given the price of snap caps idk why you would not just throw some in for piece of mind, especially if you already have them to practice reloading..

I never said it was bad?
    Not in those words, but I took your post "Its a good idea" to mean NOT using them was a bad idea… which I know not to be true, at least where S&W revolvers are concerned. I was just curious if you knew something different about the LCR.

Because polymer-framed revolvers are still too new to have established a reliability record yet…

User Tag List