Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 12GA slug vs armor?

12GA slug vs armor?

So I have a nice supply of Federal Truball Deep Penetrator (PB127 DPRS) slugs. I'm thinking about my HD shotgun setup and was wondering if these slugs will defeat armor. For a home invasion scenario I like the shotgun over the AR for it's single round incapacitation capabilities. However, I do wonder about bad guys wearing armor. Would one of these slugs defeat it? What about strategically loading the gun with the Fed LE1321B #1 buck in the chamber and the slug behind it. Then alternating throughout the tube after that. That way, if you do encounter an armored threat, you simply double-tap him and the second round (slug) is definitely effective.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

I've never heard anyone advocate loading different shells in a single magazine load. I've never heard of a home invasion involving body armor either but that doesn't mean it's never happened. Considering the advantages of the AR and the crazy amount of ammo out for them I'd personally go that route, but that doesn't help you too much so I'll shut up now
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Most slugs will not defeat most soft armor.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I'd rather shoot them in the face or crotch with #00.
    I haven't seen a home invader yet with anything more than a vest on, and that's usually drug cartel hit squads.
    A slug will probably temporarily take the fight out of them and break some ribs but it's not going to penetrate.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Well that answers that. Thanks guys. Jody, that was/is my plan. Guess it still is.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    That said, what are the effects of the blunt force trauma to a hit in the chest cavity?

About like getting hit with a fast pitch.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I shot an old kevlar Second Chance level II vest with DPRS at 10ft and the slugs did not penetrate. I also shot the same vest with regular breneke slugs and they did not penetrate either, but they cut and frayed a lot more kevlar.

A 1oz foster slug at 1300fps has 1640ft-lbs of energy.
    A 5.25oz baseball and 95mph has 100ft-lbs of energy.
    A 600gr load of 1 buckshot (15 pellets @ 40gr ea) at 1150fps has 1762lb-ft of energy.

At most home defense distances flite control buckshot will still be in the shot cup. That doesn't make it a substitute for a slug, but at personal distances it should put a similar thumpin on bad company.

About like getting hit with a fast pitch.
    That sounds like a pretty good temporary stop to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I've never heard anyone advocate loading different shells in a single magazine load. I've never heard of a home invasion involving body armor either but that doesn't mean it's never happened. Considering the advantages of the AR and the crazy amount of ammo out for them I'd personally go that route, but that doesn't help you too much so I'll shut up now
    Peally: Some units in Vietnam put a shotgun guy right behind the point man for patrols in thick jungle. A typical load was buckshot in the chamber (for a first quick shot), followed by a slug or two (for more accuracy), followed by buckshot (on the theory that at that point things might be going south and you needed as many projectiles downrange as you could get). So it isn't unknown. Is it a good idea? As always, that will probably depend on the tactical situation.

User Tag List