Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Speer Gold Dot G2: Too Soon To Buy In?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    How about this: I challenge you to find one single engineer who says that the post does anything at all to redirect forces and enhance expansion. Anything at all.

The last time I worked with an ammo company, they were evaluating sticking a little rubber plug into their hollow point. I asked their "engineer" what Poisson's ratio was for the hard rubber they were looking at. Not only did they not know, they did not know what Possion's ratio was or why it was important. Ammo companies R&D are like Myth Busters.

And it should be noted, I'm not the only one who is saying this. I don't actually know anyone who disagrees.

You may draw your own conclusions from that.
    Thanks! I was more concerned about the G2 than the hydra-shits but I understand what you're saying. If they don't have the right people involved then that is sad indeed.

The FBI bought into this. Do you think they adopted this bullet without testing it?

How about this: I challenge you to find one single engineer who says that the post does anything at all to redirect forces and enhance expansion. Anything at all.

The last time I worked with an ammo company, they were evaluating sticking a little rubber plug into their hollow point. I asked their "engineer" what Poisson's ratio was for the hard rubber they were looking at. Not only did they not know, they did not know what Possion's ratio was or why it was important. Ammo companies R&D are like Myth Busters.

And it should be noted, I'm not the only one who is saying this. I don't actually know anyone who disagrees.

You may draw your own conclusions from that.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    The FBI bought into this. Do you think they adopted this bullet without testing it?
    Did they test the G2 without the insert?

In a word; No

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Just because the bullet excelled at passing the FBI's testing protocols doesn't necessarily mean that the rubber plug had anything to do with it.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

What came first the chicken or the egg? Did the FBI spec a bullet with a rubberish insert (or express interest) and ATK made one, or did ATK design the round and then happened to catch the FBI's interest?

This thread makes me so utterly sad.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    This thread makes me so utterly sad.
    Then you really don't want to look at the rest of the internet.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Rest assured that the FBI tested the living shit out of this ammo as part of their contract procedure for new 9mm duty ammo (they do this with all ammo every few years).

The FBI requests for what ammo they are looking for are available to anyone interested in reading to that level of boring detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Then you really don't want to look at the rest of the internet.
    ^Three pointer. Nothing but net.^

User Tag List