Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: APD - Officer shot during traffic stop.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I'm going to guess that the scumbag couldn't shoot anymore. I'm only seeing very low resolution video but I thought I saw the bad guys gun on the ground.
    3/15/2016

Finally looking at it in higher res, I'm wrong. The bad guy's gun isn't on the ground...no idea why he didn't keep shooting.
    3/15/2016

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Very frightening video. Once the police officer went to slide lock, I am very glad the bad guy didn't decide to shoot him again. If the officer had a do over, I wonder whether he would opt for more capacity, a BUG, or both.
    There's a very well known (former) Chicago PD officer who, in two separate fights against two separate EDPs, emptied a SIG P220 .45 (1st incident, 9 rounds) and a SIG P226 9mm (16 rounds) and in both cases barely slowed the guy(s) down. In both instances he reloaded and made a final decisive head shot.

Last I knew, he continued carrying the 9mm. His logic was that if they were all equally ineffective, he'd at least rather have more bullets than fewer.

Also to the original thread: Someone needs to teach ABQ-area LEOs to stop trying to kick bullets out of the air with their femurs. Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery to the APD officer.

He is unbelievably calm. Consummate professionalism.

Good observations on the intermediate barriers. The video is really compelling to carry bonded ammo, considering both times I established a master grip would have involved shooting through a car.

Also a really compelling reason to carry a New York reload accessible by both hands. Lots of people are probably going to say, "Oh shit 1911! Doesn't have teh capacitiez!", but given how many accounts there are of shooters emptying their entire mag without realizing it, I think that argument isn't terribly productive. He very well may have just shot 16 rounds instead of 8 if he had a G19, and then still been out and waiting for an execution. Having something quick to draw as a last line while you're broken and bleeding on the ground seems like a better option to have than huge mags, IMO.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    There's a very well known (former) Chicago PD officer who, in two separate fights against two separate EDPs, emptied a SIG P220 .45 (1st incident, 9 rounds) and a SIG P226 9mm (16 rounds) and in both cases barely slowed the guy(s) down. In both instances he reloaded and made a final decisive head shot.

Last I knew, he continued carrying the 9mm. His logic was that if they were all equally ineffective, he'd at least rather have more bullets than fewer.

Also to the original thread: Someone needs to teach ABQ-area LEOs to stop trying to kick bullets out of the air with their femurs. Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery to the APD officer.
    Bob Stasch? If so great interview here:
    http://proarmspodcast.com/052-interv...ce-department/

Sorry for the derail.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    On a purely technical note, this shows once again that cars are tough to penetrate at steep angles.
    There are pictures of the officers nice neat grouping right into the door jamb area, trajectory wise they should have been straight into the bad guy in the drivers seat but none actually made it there.
    The B pillar area on cars is pretty much immune to pistol fire, and tends to stop quite a few rifle rounds as well.

One of the things I taught our guys was how to get into a car with pistol fire. Kinds of "Tactical Anatomy" on cars.

The doors are best gotten through from perpendicular, and in the center-ish area above or below the crash bar that most of them have built into them. Trunks can be shot through side-to-side very easily for the most part, by rounds as small as .22 rifle, or buckshot (buckshot sucks against cars BTW). The A and B pillars stop pistol fire very handily.
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 01-07-2015 at 10:06 PM.

My thoughts and prayers are with Officer Golson, that he makes a complete and speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Bob Stasch? If so great interview here:
    http://proarmspodcast.com/052-interv...ce-department/

Sorry for the derail.
    Last edited by EM_; 01-07-2015 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Wrong post...
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

Last I knew, he continued carrying the 9mm. His logic was that if they were all equally ineffective, he'd at least rather have more bullets than fewer.[/B]
    Assuming the same fella here. Since leaving CPD to focus on the school he's been teaching/practicing with a 9mm, but carrying a Robar G21. Best of both worlds kind of thing, I suppose, if one can get their hands around the G21. That was about a year ago last time I shot with him before I moved. Glad you're doing better.
    Last edited by EM_; 01-07-2015 at 10:27 PM.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Nyeti"

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    The B pillar area on cars is pretty much immune to pistol fire, and tends to stop quite a few rifle rounds as well.

One of the things I taught our guys was how to get into a car with pistol fire. Kinds of "Tactical Anatomy" on cars.

The doors are best gotten through from perpendicular, and in the center-ish area above or below the crash bar that most of them have built into them. Trunks can be shot through side-to-side very easily for the most part, by rounds as small as .22 rifle, or buckshot (buckshot sucks against cars BTW). The A and B pillars stop pistol fire very handily.
    If one has never been through such an anatomy class, this might be of some assistance:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/tag/buick-of-truth/
    3/15/2016

User Tag List