Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: APD - Officer shot during traffic stop.

APD - Officer shot during traffic stop.

Thankfully, Officer Lou Golson survived the ordeal and is recovering now. The shooter was caught by 2 BCSD officers the following day. Link has additional photos of vehicle and his lapel camera was used to help identify the shooter.
    One of the shots went through his left side and broke his left femur, according to the complaint. Three shots hit his bulletproof vest causing bruises, and he broke his wrist during the fall.
    Video NSFW due to language.

Site Supporter
    Eden said he was visiting Golson on Monday night, when a young man came to the hospital to wish him well.

“It was actually a young man he had issued a traffic citation to. He wanted to make sure that the officer knew that the community was thinking of him, that their thoughts and prayers were with him, and I think that speaks to the nature of our community,” Eden said.
    Nice.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    I don't think I'd sound as calm on the radio after being shot four times. Good job and speedy recovery to OFC Golson. Nice catch by BCSD.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    One hell of a time for a malfunction...
    3/15/2016

It's easy to see why LEO hit percentages suck.
    From zero to being shot 4 times and falling flat on your back in 2 seconds would tend to throw anyones fundamentals off just a bit.

I have a ton of respect for Albuquerque area LEO's, they have a hell of a zoo to tend to out there.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I think reloading with a broken wrist was his malfunction.
    Calm dude, he sounded pissed when he had a click instead of a bang when the guy took off running.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

On a purely technical note, this shows once again that cars are tough to penetrate at steep angles.
    There are pictures of the officers nice neat grouping right into the door jamb area, trajectory wise they should have been straight into the bad guy in the drivers seat but none actually made it there.

Maintained his composure, big time. Not sure how much emphasis is placed on shooting through doors for the average cop but it's definitely something to think about in terms of placement. From this picture I would've thought he'd smoked the guy. Food for thought, not being critical of his actions.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    That's right into a structural member and the window motor...both of which are pretty robust on that vehicle. Not much you can carry on your hip is going to get through that easily.
    3/15/2016

Very frightening video. Once the police officer went to slide lock, I am very glad the bad guy didn't decide to shoot him again. If the officer had a do over, I wonder whether he would opt for more capacity, a BUG, or both.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List