Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Agency ditching M&P 40 due to firing pin breaks and light strikes

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I agree with JTQ--that is an important data point. I seem to remember that someone on this forum mentioned that Larry Vickers (I think) had raised the issue. I'm not sure if it is a concern to police or not, but it definitely would be a concern for some military uses. My guess is that snow and ice could get packed in there as well.
    I think that it's even more interesting that when designing the 40 & 41, they went with a closed slide design.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I think that it's even more interesting that when designing the 40 & 41, they went with a closed slide design.
    They needed the weight for the new slide on the G41 which is still lighter than a G21 slide.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    The day of the class, he grabbed a spare gun to finish. Later he tried blowing it out with an air hose, but it kept locking up. He finally replaced the RSA.
    Was he bothered enough by the experience to switch to another model or did he stick with the long slide?
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    Was he bothered enough by the experience to switch to another model or did he stick with the long slide?

Still carrying the 34...
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Still carrying the 34...
    I think I'd apply a patch of duct tape. Pretty huge data point brah. Thanks
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

M&P 2.0 firing pin failure

Did a search on this issue and this thread was the closest and most recent one I could find. Is this still an issue and if so, have any agencies had this experience with the 2.0 guns? Have a 2.0 compact with approximately 3000 rds on it and the firing pin tip broke off. This occurred in dry fire. Have been slowly, over the last couple of years, moving over to M&P's from Glocks for carry. They have impressed me as very robust in design so, this was unexpected. I'm not one to get too upset over parts breaking as it happens and you fix it, learn from it, try to take preventative maintenance measures, etc. However, with literally 10's of thousands of rds through multiple Glocks over the last 30 years, and a couple of classic Sig pistols, this was never an issue for me or for my agency that I am aware of. This is not an issue that I have ever heard of with M&P's before this happened. A sister agency issued 1st gen .40's for several years and this was not an issue that I ever heard of with those guns. I have read and heard from multiple sources that M&P's can be dry fired like Glocks and other SF pistols without snap caps. Any experience or input on this issue would be appreciated.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Actsda View Post
    Did a search on this issue and this thread was the closest and most recent one I could find. Is this still an issue and if so, have any agencies had this experience with the 2.0 guns? Have a 2.0 compact with approximately 3000 rds on it and the firing pin tip broke off. This occurred in dry fire. Have been slowly, over the last couple of years, moving over to M&P's from Glocks for carry. They have impressed me as very robust in design so, this was unexpected. I'm not one to get too upset over parts breaking as it happens and you fix it, learn from it, try to take preventative maintenance measures, etc. However, with literally 10's of thousands of rds through multiple Glocks over the last 30 years, and a couple of classic Sig pistols, this was never an issue for me or for my agency that I am aware of. This is not an issue that I have ever heard of with M&P's before this happened. A sister agency issued 1st gen .40's for several years and this was not an issue that I ever heard of with those guns. I have read and heard from multiple sources that M&P's can be dry fired like Glocks and other SF pistols without snap caps. Any experience or input on this issue would be appreciated.
    If you don’t break something you’re not shooting enough. I’ve broken Berettas, SIGs, Glocks, even an HK.

My city’s PD, with 2000 sworn has been issuing the M$P 40 for a bit over 10 years, since transitioning from Glock model 22s. They are satisfied enough with the design that they are keeping 40 and transitioning to the M&P 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If you don’t break something you’re not shooting enough. I’ve broken Berettas, SIGs, Glocks, even an HK.

My city’s PD, with 2000 sworn has been issuing the M$P 40 for a bit over 10 years, since transitioning from Glock model 22s. They are satisfied enough with the design that they are keeping 40 and transitioning to the M&P 2.0.
    I agree. Most of us carry a low round count gun, and use another gun for dry fire and range practice.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I do not believe this is a common issue with the M&P. I have a buddy with a major city PD here in Texas and they run the Gen 1 M&P40 and no issues. I have seen some gun shops with rentals that had many thousand rounds and striker was never an issue. I think the M&P is excellent in 40SW, especially the M2.0 5 inch.

Do they shoot non toxic ammo on the range. Frangible-non toxic ammunition were known to have hard primers.

User Tag List