Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Agency ditching M&P 40 due to firing pin breaks and light strikes

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    IIIRC, Kentucky State Police issues every trooper a Glock 35 and a 27.
    Yup. Alabama DNR as well. At one time I had a list of agencies that had purchased them distribution channels, but I can't find it now.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I'd go one step further-Allow the G19, 17 and/or G34 to be utilized for any and all applications; insofar as the LEO can appropriately qualify IAW DoJ/departmental standards. (In response to DocGKR's Post #38)

Best, Jon

We issue and authorize the Sig Classic "system." 9mm, 40, or 45 as limited by model. Models approved include: 220, 225, 226, 228, and 229. Models approved with "small hands" waiver: P239 and P245. BUG use only: P230/232. There are rumblings of approving the 224 and possibly the 227.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

It would be most logical to pick a paltform, say 9mm Glocks, and allow the officer to choose what suits them best, G19, G17, G34. Or maybe, as others have mentioned, issue your plain clothes folks a G26 or G19. I think it's a great way of issuing weapons.

But most LE agencies are not logical. "Everybody carries the same gun." is what I've been told. The UC Drug Task Force guy that is forced to carry a G22/WML would be much better suited to a G27 for obvious reasons but...no. And that's a loud "NO!"

Back to the G35, I really like it. After deciding I would standardize to .40, so that my PD and personal stuff was all concurrent, I had an extended affair with a G35 (Gen.3). It shot so soft, SHO/WHO seemed so easy with that gun. I've yet to try a Gen.4 version but if I was allowed to pick my own duty gun and HAD to stay with .40 I'd pick the G35 over all others. Also, as others have said, when running a WML on a G17 or 22 the holster isn't much long in a G34/35 of the same variety.
    Last edited by MD7305; 01-09-2015 at 11:28 PM.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    So the guys on the team can show off their truly tactically colored pistols to chicks, of course.
    Gotcha.

Four of my guys are carrying 34s, and one is carrying a 35; all personally owned. One of them was at a Farnham class recently. He ran a drill where they had to drop their primary pistol and go to a BUG. The range was in south GA where the dirt is very sandy. Enough sand got into the slide cut that it completely locked up the pistol, and the recoil spring assembly had to be replaced.

I tried the 34. I was slower out of the holster with it, and while I could achieve a little bit more accuracy on a precision shot with it, I couldn't run it as well as a 17 or 19. Oddly enough, my GSSF scores with a 19 were better than with a 17 or a 34.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Four of my guys are carrying 34s, and one is carrying a 35; all personally owned. One of them was at a Farnham class recently. He ran a drill where they had to drop their primary pistol and go to a BUG. The range was in south GA where the dirt is very sandy. Enough sand got into the slide cut that it completely locked up the pistol, and the recoil spring assembly had to be replaced.
    That's interesting. I'm not a Glock guy, but I always suspected that could be a problem, but all the Glock users on forums always claim that could never happen. It does seem like dirt and sand would get blown out, but a hard object like a stick, stone, coin, etc., seems like it could lock up the gun, at lest temporarily.

I tried the 34. I was slower out of the holster with it, and while I could achieve a little bit more accuracy on a precision shot with it, I couldn't run it as well as a 17 or 19. Oddly enough, my GSSF scores with a 19 were better than with a 17 or a 34.
    I agree with JTQ--that is an important data point. I seem to remember that someone on this forum mentioned that Larry Vickers (I think) had raised the issue. I'm not sure if it is a concern to police or not, but it definitely would be a concern for some military uses. My guess is that snow and ice could get packed in there as well.

That is really interesting in that the RSA had to be replaced. I wonder if the sand caused coil bind in the flat spring and/or the sand scored the guide rod. I assume the latter since the RSA had to be replaced.

My limited experience with sand testing for military stuff is that the test results are not consistent. Often it is just the luck of the draw. Same system, same test procedure, and a totally different result. As such, I do not make gun decisions based on if there is a failure, but what the failure modes are and what it takes to solve them.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    That's interesting. I'm not a Glock guy, but I always suspected that could be a problem, but all the Glock users on forums always claim that could never happen. It does seem like dirt and sand would get blown out, but a hard object like a stick, stone, coin, etc., seems like it could lock up the gun, at lest temporarily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I agree with JTQ--that is an important data point. I seem to remember that someone on this forum mentioned that Larry Vickers (I think) had raised the issue. I'm not sure if it is a concern to police or not, but it definitely would be a concern for some military uses. My guess is that snow and ice could get packed in there as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    That is really interesting in that the RSA had to be replaced. I wonder if the sand caused coil bind in the flat spring and/or the sand scored the guide rod. I assume the latter since the RSA had to be replaced.

My limited experience with sand testing for military stuff is that the test results are not consistent. Often it is just the luck of the draw. Same system, same test procedure, and a totally different result. As such, I do not make gun decisions based on if there is a failure, but what the failure modes are and what it takes to solve them.

The day of the class, he grabbed a spare gun to finish. Later he tried blowing it out with an air hose, but it kept locking up. He finally replaced the RSA.

User Tag List