Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 34 for IDPA SSP and USPSA Production

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Rob, what is the purpose of competition to you?
    It is entertainment.

With that said, it needs to be fun, and not painful. The CZ answered the second part, but not the first. The Glock will be more "fun" than the CZ because (in general) of better support in the marketplace and in terms of what I already have on hand, and require less dedicated parts, pieces, holsters, mags, support gear, etc.

I am not going to practice outside of the odd dryfire from time to time, but there are matches available often enough down here that I can use the matches as practice if I want to.

So if I understand the bulk of the responses correctly...

1) there is nothing inherently "bad" about my choices other than some people prefer other products
    2) there is nothing in either product that prohibits it's use in SSP or Production
    3) there isn't much more to be done with the gun beyond these two and still stay in SSP and Production

Yes?

Site Supporter
    That trigger and any sights are legal. You can also change the mag release and slide release to other OEM parts. I think Glock offering guns with the Vickers parts may lead to their legality in Production, which is awesome because that has always been one of the downsides of using a Gen 3 in Production. The Glock mag releases are either too long or too short.

The Warren/Sevegny sights are the sights to get IMO. The only benefit to Dawson's...IMO, is if they don't POA/POI they send you the correct height free. But those Warren/Sevegny are used by about everyone for a reason...

Triggers. Personally, I'd probably just buy the GM kit from Taran Tactical. It's about $50 and has the right springs and connector.

Spend the rest on ammo and/or components.
    A71593

I recently heard there is a new "FBI" mag catch for the Glocks, which would of course be a true Glock part and thus "legal", and it's about the same size as the Vickers' part. I have not seen one yet, just throwing it out there.

Pretty sure you can do a match barrel if you want. A negative connector would be stock on the non-blue label guns so the lighter trigger should already be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I recently heard there is a new "FBI" mag catch for the Glocks, which would of course be a true Glock part and thus "legal", and it's about the same size as the Vickers' part. I have not seen one yet, just throwing it out there.

Pretty sure you can do a match barrel if you want. A negative connector would be stock on the non-blue label guns so the lighter trigger should already be there.
    If it is the same ones I purchased from Glock several years ago for the Gen 4 they are approximately .035 longer.

For IDPA (and carry), you might want to consider either the Warren Tactical or Warren/Sevigny Carry rear sight; either is slightly more "carry friendly" due to rounded sight edges. The Warren Tactical has a .150 "U" notch; the Warren/Sevigny Carry is the same as the sight you're already considering (square notch), but with rounded edges.

I've found that there can be not insignificant variation with OEM Glock components and the resultant triggerpulls. Rather than immediately go to a "hardware" solution, I'd simply see what it is that you've got, put 500 or so rounds through the gun, and only then step back and assess if you really need trigger component/spring replacements. Ditto with the magazine release and slide stop-I personally prefer Glock's Extended Slide Stop/Release, and have had zero issues with it, and have them mounted on all of my Glocks.

It's not that the components you're considering are "bad" per se, I just think that you need to spend some time with the platform to ascertain their actual necessity.

While I've never personally had any issue with the OEM Glock magazine releases, the increased length of the OEM extended ones on the Tactical/Practical models can be inadvertently activated by placing the gun on its left side on a hard surface-at least on the Gen 3 and earlier models. Others have felt that they have sharp edges-maybe, but its never been an issue with me.

FWIW, on my personal Gen 3 G34, used for carry, IDPA and GSSF, I have a set of Warren Tactical sights (with the front sight face painted Fluorescent Green), the OEM (extended) magazine release, the OEM (extended) slide stop/release, the OEM triggerbar, the OEM "minus" connector, and the NY1 spring.

Best, Jon

This gun will not be carried.

I'm also not new to Glocks, just the 34. I'm pretty familiar with the basic, stock parts and variants, and see no benefit to starting with them.

To the other comments re: the slide stop and mag release, yes these are the other parts I'd be interested in changing, yes I'd prefer the Vickers parts like I have on my 19s, but I'm sure I'll be ok with the factory extended parts.

Gen 3 Glock 34
    Taran sights
    Glockmeister grip plug
    Glocktriggers.com Vogel trigger
    4.5 pound striker spring
    Some grip tape
    Extended, rounded OEM mag release
    Stock slide stop
    13 pound recoil spring and guide rod
    Blade-Tech Ice holster
    Stoeger Pro Shop Glock base pads
    A semi-truck load of 9mm ball
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Is rounding the mag release Production legal?

User Tag List