Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 34 for IDPA SSP and USPSA Production

Glock 34 for IDPA SSP and USPSA Production

I'm looking to go back to simpler times/setups/"systems"/"platforms"/whatever. The CZ has been a fun distraction, but I'm still struggling with the DA first-round pull because:don't-practice. I'm thinking of going with a Glock 34 3rd Gen. What would be the "ideal" setup for the gun to keep legal in both SSP and Production?

I'm thinking of this trigger
    http://www.glocktriggers.com/products/vogel/

and these sights
    http://www.skdtac.com/Warren-Tactica...-p/wrt.303.htm

Anything better I should be considering? If I understand the rules correctly, I can't change the mag release or the slide stop and still be legal in both games in these divisions, and magwells are out in both as well.

Magwells are out, but my understanding of rules was that you could change small parts to other OEM parts if those OEM parts came from approved pistol models (for example, G17 slide stop).

GJM has been raving about Vogel trigger.

Maybe try a dedicated gaming sights like Taran Tactical, just for an experiment.

I don't know anything about those specific brands but a G34 with trigger and sight improvements is kind of a default solution for SSP and Production.

The Gen4 has a more prominent magazine catch than earlier variants and the G34 has a more prominent slide stop than a G17 which isn't saying much.

Glock 34 is the default option as was already said.

I'd polish it and put in a minus connector, perhaps with a stronger trigger spring, on a production gun. Gen3 guns can have a better trigger than Gen4. Gen 4 has a better mag release and frame texture. My Gen4 guns also show less POI shift between different ammo weights and brands.

Vogel is a self proclaimed trigger snob. I shot (one of) his actual guns at his class back in the summer. I was underwhelmed. He general my mixes and matches parts to get the "best" pull. Sometimes they are OEM, sometimes not.

The stock non-blue lable 34s already come with the Glock version of race parts with the extended slide stop and mag release, or are you wanting something less prominent for those bits?

DK Custom Triggers makes an excellent Glock trigger that is approved for production. Short pre travel and over travel eliminated (both adjustable) with a good break and short reset.

Rob, what is the purpose of competition to you?

If you want to be competitive, you are going to have to invest time in practice/training.
    If you want to gain/maintain proficiency with your chosen platform, shooting something with an advertised "competition only" application is not going to carry over, since we all know that shooter interaction with the trigger is the most crucial aspect of the speed:accuracy equation.

I shoot USPSA limited with a stock G17, with the exception of a Dawson magwell, FO front sight, and blacked out rear. My holster is an OWB kydex that mirrors my carry type (no light provision on the USPSA holster). I do not frequently practice/train for competition (the job and family place a high demand on my time), and I am in the upper 25%-10% of USPSA matches that I shoot ( http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-display-m...guntype=Pistol ).

The Warren/Sevigny sight combo is good.
    I prefer the Dawsons for competition, but that's me. Sights that draw the eye, and are readily leveled AND centered, will give you better accuracy at speed. There is no shortage of opinions on front sight width, and trying different ones at your actual sight radius will yield better outcome than internet opinion. I shoot minor in limited, which means that I cannot afford to shoot C/D and place well, putting an emphasis on sight perception.

I have an issue with the extended slide stop/release, in that when I am pushing the gun at speed my hand will bump the release upward and lock the slide with rounds remaining in the mag. I have noticed it most with the G19, but have stopped using it completely in favor of the standard slide stop. Then again, I don't have an issue with the standard stop as a release.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

I've seen more issues with the Glock extended slide stop that benefits, going by looking at a large group of shooters. People with big hands often get early slide lock due to bumping the part up in the middle of a string of fire.

Just an observation for general consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I've seen more issues with the Glock extended slide stop that benefits, going by looking at a large group of shooters. People with big hands often get early slide lock due to bumping the part up in the middle of a string of fire.
    Is that with the bigger slide stop that comes on the G34 (vs standard found on a G17) or with the still larger aftermarket parts?

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Is that with the bigger slide stop that comes on the G34 (vs standard found on a G17) or with the still larger aftermarket parts?
    Glock part

User Tag List