Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Master List of Vetted Models?

A Master List of Vetted Models?

Is it possible to produce a community-generated list of sanctioned firearms ?

I ask as its quite clear there's two broad categories of modern handguns-weapons produced to sell , and weapons designed for serious use too.

The latter is much smaller in number then the former.It would be preferable to direct newbies to a master list of good brands and models so as to prevent " Derp Collection Syndrome".
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

This is a great idea. Not sure what parameters one would use to evaluate the pistols. There are lots of factors that make a good "serious use" pistol. Reliability could possibly be covered by a statistically significant number of a given model pistol passing the 2000 round challenge, but other factors such as conceal ability (if applicable), ergonomics, availability of replacement parts, ease of maintenance, availability of holsters, long term durability and accuracy should probably also be considered.

As I noted in another recent thread, I could care less about what handguns individuals choose to own, carry and use--particularly those end users with enough experience to understand the ramifications of what they are selecting, why they are doing so, and have made wise assessments of the criteria they deem valuable for their needs.

From an organizational standpoint, what is PRACTICAL are those handguns which have proven to be durable, reliable, easily serviced, have plentiful armorer support, good parts and accessories availability, readily acquired holsters, and solid vendor CS. At this time in the US, that basically that boils down to Glock and S&W M&P, with perhaps an outside nod to HK and a far distant "maybe" for Beretta and Sig. Note that pistols that I would have once recommended, like the Hi Power, 3rd gen S&W, classic Sig, would no longer be optimal choices

New CONUS pistol users would be well served by selecting a such a "practical" handgun.

There are many other handguns that may work adequately, but they can be harder to service, lack armorer support, are difficult to source parts and accessories for, and the manufacturers may not offer adequate support. At one time I would have suggested a 3rd gen S&W or classic Sig.

The best caliber for the majority of users in urban and suburban settings is 9 mm. If a person spends a lot of time around vehicles or in wilderness areas with larger animals present, a .40 S&W might be reasonable. .45 Auto makes the most sense in states with idiotic 10 rd or less magazine restrictions, in departments that give away lots of free .45 Auto ammo, or in situations where modern expanding ammunition is restricted due to asinine, illogical regulations.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

This thread would be an awesome sticky from this noob's perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Is it possible to produce a community-generated list of sanctioned firearms ?

I ask as its quite clear there's two broad categories of modern handguns-weapons produced to sell , and weapons designed for serious use too.

The latter is much smaller in number then the former.It would be preferable to direct newbies to a master list of good brands and models so as to prevent " Derp Collection Syndrome".
    Dude, you aren't gonna end gun derp. It's just never gonna happen. Tam has a thread here that pretty much says that derp has always been with us. I'll submit that it always will be.

But say that you managed to create a list or a "Chart" of handgun models that had desirable features and QC/reliability specs, it would not evangelize the web and all of a sudden cause everyone to say, "Gee, that Hi-Point was a terrible idea, I need to drop the coin on this HK." What you would get would be a bunch of guys that bought their POS getting all butt hurt, defending their purchase to all that would listen, and bitching about the "gun snobs" and "elitists" that think you have to spend a thousand dollars on a pistol or else you will be instantly slaughtered in the street. (P.S. I have seen this movie before, it involved a carbine chart.)

I'm all for people buying a quality handgun and doing their homework to become proficient with it. I used to recommend it to anyone that asked my opinion on what they should do about HD/CC. Problem is, after I'd taken the time to make my case and give my reasons, they all did the exact same thing. They went out and bought exactly what they had already planned on buying, bought one box of ball, shot that box of ball, bought a box of WWB hollowpoints, loaded it up, and forgot about it. I gave up. I do what I do now for me and me alone, and I longer spend a spare second thinking about how other folks spend their time and money. Trust me, it's easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Dude, you aren't gonna end gun derp. It's just never gonna happen. Tam has a thread here that pretty much says that derp has always been with us. I'll submit that it always will be.
    The point wouldn't be to end derp-its to prevent otherwise well intentioned newbies from being sold a bill of goods at the gun counter.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    The point wouldn't be to end derp-its to prevent otherwise well intentioned newbies from being sold a bill of goods at the gun counter.
    I think this is a great idea, especially if approached from the viewpoint of the individual rather than an LE department. There could be pistols that "make the grade" for individual use that are obviously not the best choice for an organization - i.e. Springfield TRP, etc.

This may end up being a fairly common-sense list for most of us, but it certainly could be invaluable for new shooters.

Not worth the effort.

My first gun ever bought 10 years ago was a TRP. Last gun bought 3 months ago was a G34. I'm not too bright but buying a non derp gun is easy without a "master list". And I think people make too big a deal about which gun.

From my Motorola StarTAC.

Glock 19[/list]

User Tag List