Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Scarlett Johansson in Live-Action 'Ghost in the Shell'

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Apparently I'm an outlier considering how the movie is getting poor reviews, but as a long time fan of the series I liked it. Lots of nods to both the original film and Stand Alone Complex. They really nailed the aesthetic of the anime. Scarlett wouldn't have been my first choice in casting, but she did well enough. The guy who played Batou was excellent. The action scenes were really well done. My only complaint was that the other members of Section Nine were underdeveloped and neglected. The movie was actually on the short side (1 hour 42 minutes) - they should have added a few more scenes to flesh out the squad. I suspect we'll see an extended version/Director's Cut when the Blu-ray is released.
    ^^^ Spot on, IMHO.

Those that are fans will like it.

Those that like highly visual, blade-runnerish, ethics sci-fi will like it.

Those who are tripping balls will like it.

Those who don't know the story; don't like futuristic visual/ethical conundrum sci fi; or—failing the above, are stone sober to boot—will think it's God awful.

I'd probably watch it again on netflix or at the local second run place if I had the free time.

As a fan of the anime, I recommend this film. Scarlett did a more than acceptable job in selling her role as the Major, the cast was solid (though underdeveloped in the storyline), the story itself is a hybrid of the Puppetmaster and 2nd GiG stories which they managed to make work well enough with the short runtime, the visual effects were awesome, the attention to detail (Togusa using a 6 inch Chiappa Rhino as a stand in for his anime counterpart's Mateba was a nice touch), combined with expertly done portrayals of iconic action set pieces (I won't spoil it for those who aren't familiar with the series), and it overall worked for me. Not as good as the original anime to be honest as it dumbed down the existential questions of the original anime, but I spent the money for admission, popcorn, and a large drink (basically $30 overall, which is bullshit for other reasons), but I felt like I got my money's worth out of the deal. I will definitely be adding this to my movie collection once I can.

I will declare that to date, this is the best live-action adaptation of a manga/anime since City Hunter with Jackie Chan (yes I'm a nerd; deal with it) in terms of keeping up with the spirit and aesthetic of the source material. Of note, I had a friend who complained about the PG-13 rating to which I retorted: "if you wanted to see Scarlett Johansson's tits, she's done full frontal nude scenes in other movies, go look them up".
    Last edited by will_1400; 04-01-2017 at 09:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

Site Supporter
    Had never heard of this series til this thread started. Have now seen a ... Few ... Episodes, like Scarlett J, and anticipated the film greatly.

My wife and I saw it tonight. She hadn't seen any episodes, but likes Scarlett J and enjoyed it, save for thinking the violence a bit over the top.

I, on the other hand, enjoyed it without reservation, and pretty much think the "whitewash" accusations are a load of bunk. Anybody who can watch the movie they actually made and doesn't get why Major doesn't exactly look Japanese ... well, they aren't logically and objectively thinking. And as far as a pragmatic casting decision to pick Scarlett J, they needed somebody who could carry the story *and get people like my wife, who have never been interested in anime in any way, who likely would not watch an anime even if asked, to get those people to go see the movie because they like the A-list actress headlining the show. A relative unknown like the various Asian actresses I've heard suggested would not have gotten the movie the same kind of attention as Scarlett J has.

Overall, I enjoyed it, and would see again. Of course, I saw Bladerunner in high school and can't wait to see the new one.

When I first heard of Scarlett being cast as the Major, I siad "that's a smart choice; an A-lister who can pull off both being an ice queen but vulnerable once you get past the facade, much like how the anime treats the Major. Plus her time portraying the Black Widow in the Marvel movies will compliment her in selling her role" and I was proven right. As for the "whitewashing" idiots... they clearly don't know their "beloved anime" as well as they think. The Japan of Ghost in the Shell is multi ethnic and is a powerhouse after World Wars III and IV. There are a lot of non-Japanese running around and the fact that the Major is the purest cyborg means she can look however she wants as only her brain remains organic; she could turn around and be installed in a chassis that is a dead-ringer for The Undertaker in his prime if she wants. Race is all but irrelevant in the universe of Ghost in the Shell, after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

Watched it the other day. Was only mildly disappointed, mainly because I went in with very low expectations, as my friend had told me it was basically eye candy and not much else. And to me, he was right. Visuals were pretty cool, with lots of little homages everywhere, but holy shit, did they gut the story. Okay as mindless entertainment, but a hollow shell compared compared to anime movie, with weak characterizations, inane plotlines, and a lack of critical thinking on the themes it was trying to espouse. GitS has long been one of my favorite anime franchises of all time, so I'm saddened to realize that there probably won't be a good sequel or alternate live action remake in some time, given the relatively poor performance of this movie.

And I still remain unconvinced of Johansson's believability as an action star.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 07-24-2017 at 11:24 AM.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List