Thread: Colt MKIV/Series 70

Colt MKIV/Series 70

I just picked up a like new Colt in Satin Nickel. This gun is in the '81-'83 range. I had a question about the collet bushing. What's the consensus on them? Should it stay or should it go now? If it stays will there be trouble? Also, if it goes will it be double?

Most of the collet bushings are damaged by repeated improper field stripping and assembly. The bushing must not be turned when the barrel is in battery; otherwise, the collet fingers can be damaged due to excessive strain as the muzzle of the Series '70 barrel is a larger diameter to be securely held by the collet fingers. If the gun is like new, the bushing is likely fine.

If the bushing does fail, it can tie up the gun to the extent of needing a rubber mallet. So, if this gun is going to be carried, it would be wise to fit a new barrel bushing. For a range gun, I would -- and do -- shoot them with the original collet bushing.

I take them down by removing the slide stop first, pulling the slide from the frame, removing the GI spring guide and spring, sliding the barrel out of battery, and then rotating the bushing, and removing the spring plug, bushing, and barrel. Assembly is literally in the opposite order. This method also removes the chance of launching the spring plug, although one can launch the guide rod. Be sure to not force the bushing back into the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    Should it stay or should it go now? If it stays will there be trouble? Also, if it goes will it be double?
    This indecision's bugging me. I had an early 80 Series with a collet bushing and rather than take a chance I fitted a solid bushing and drove on.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I would have a solid bushing fitted. The collet bushing is somewhat notorious for breaking.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Solid bushing all the way.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List