Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightforce NXS 1-4, still relevant?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    Tempting! Inside info says I'm waiting on what NF has in the works though (no, not from anyone on this board.)

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Tempting! Inside info says I'm waiting on what NF has in the works though (no, not from anyone on this board.)
    They also list it as a clearance item which would seem to confirm a newer model/version is on the way.

Ok, follow-up to this thread:

I've just bought a 14.5" mid length BCM with a KMR13. The intent for this rifle is 3gun and as a "recce" rifle for anything that fits in between the capabilities of my MK18 (Inside, vehicles, close and fast) and my .308 bolt gun, so basically a 400-600yd capable gun with 0yd capability as well. I thought I was sold on the Vortex 1-6, but I have two reservations:
    1) Weight
    2) The reticle is useless for close up of the battery/illumination fail.

Meanwhile, the NXS 1-4 isn't daylight bright, but doesn't need to be to be useful with either the FC-2 or 3G reticles. It's also a known entity (although I guess the Vortex is too). Price is roughly the same on them. I have a mount and am trying to keep things as close to $1200 as possible (less is better, I've seen some used NF 1-4's under a grand!).

I guess this video from Proctor makes me think the Nightforce is still at least capable, if not the better choice. Thoughts and which NF reticle do you prefer for the NXS 1-4?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8GF4NTr4Ag
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

One thing that I've learned on this topic is that the individual performs best when he sees what he wants to see when the reticle hits the target. There are different camps on this, and things that I believe are better, but personal preference is highly influential. The problem is that our past experience and bias will likely not prepare us for the unknown, and that which once seemed crucial may suddenly become moot, and that which was once scoffed may suddenly become central.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    One thing that I've learned on this topic is that the individual performs best when he sees what he wants to see when the reticle hits the target. There are different camps on this, and things that I believe are better, but personal preference is highly influential. The problem is that our past experience and bias will likely not prepare us for the unknown, and that which once seemed crucial may suddenly become moot, and that which was once scoffed may suddenly become central.
    I sense great wisdom behind this post and know from our conversations elsewhere on the same topic at least a little bit of what your thoughts on the matter used to be. I want so badly to know which things have become moot and which are central. I know you've written somewhat recently about daylight brightness not being a requirement so long as the optic has the correct reticle. As far as what my eye likes to see, I've always thought it was a single, bright dot, ala Aimpoint. However, just Tuesday of this week I installed my first Eotech (EXPS 3-0) on my rifle and am enjoying it greatly thus far. I feel it's faster/more precise than an Aimpoint up close because I just put the bottom of the ring where I want the bullet to go vs guessing at holdovers up close with the Aimpoint. I also feel the 1MOA center dot on the Eotech makes longer distance (100 yd+) shooting easier.
    Food Court Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    However, just Tuesday of this week I installed my first Eotech (EXPS 3-0) on my rifle and am enjoying it greatly thus far. I feel it's faster/more precise than an Aimpoint up close because I just put the bottom of the ring where I want the bullet to go vs guessing at holdovers up close with the Aimpoint. I also feel the 1MOA center dot on the Eotech makes longer distance (100 yd+) shooting easier.
    Suggest you take cover from imminent incoming fire.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Not to slam...but as a former Eotech owner, and a guy with some basic grasp of where bullets go:

Aren't you just guessing about when the 65 MOA ring stops being more applicable than the center dot? What if you're at 5y? How about 14y? 32y? 40y?

I like the Eotech reticle (although personally I'd rather run it in a Shield CQB which is a better sight) but if you have two options for point of aim and one works at distance A and one at distance B, then unless you're shooting at one of those particular distances, you're guessing about POI.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    Ok, follow-up to this thread:

I've just bought a 14.5" mid length BCM with a KMR13. The intent for this rifle is 3gun and as a "recce" rifle for anything that fits in between the capabilities of my MK18 (Inside, vehicles, close and fast) and my .308 bolt gun, so basically a 400-600yd capable gun with 0yd capability as well. I thought I was sold on the Vortex 1-6, but I have two reservations:
    1) Weight
    2) The reticle is useless for close up of the battery/illumination fail.

Meanwhile, the NXS 1-4 isn't daylight bright, but doesn't need to be to be useful with either the FC-2 or 3G reticles. It's also a known entity (although I guess the Vortex is too). Price is roughly the same on them. I have a mount and am trying to keep things as close to $1200 as possible (less is better, I've seen some used NF 1-4's under a grand!).

I guess this video from Proctor makes me think the Nightforce is still at least capable, if not the better choice. Thoughts and which NF reticle do you prefer for the NXS 1-4?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8GF4NTr4Ag
    Proctor is dabbling with optics. Just T&E. He is at this very second using a vortex razor hd 1-6 instead of that NF.

that said I want "the same optic" you seem to be after.

I got a better feel for the vcog a few weeks ago. Swfa let me play with one. I adjusted the diopter on 3x and the shift to 1x and 6X was not bad at all. Honestly the kahles k16i spoiled me. It's as flat as a granite table top. The vcog diopter shift seemed similar to the leupold mk6. Really I think my issue was user error. I was used to adjusting diopter on 6X with the kahles and it's optical superiority allowed me to get away with it at 1x. The vcog is not as forgiving. Need to be smart adjusting diopter.

the eyebox on the vcog isn't bad either. It's about like the vortex. Illumination is not 100% daylight effective, but the reticle manages to be very useful with or without it at 1 or 6x.

Long story short, aa battery, integral mount have about made the vcog a wash with the k16i, for me, as far as "which to buy".

I'm definitely curious what some others think of it, but those are my hands on impressions.

I'd wait for the next NF optic though. The worst case is it drives the 1-4 price even further into the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Suggest you take cover from imminent incoming fire.
    Over the Eotech thing? No, I get it about reliablility, battery life, etc. still, it's not without its own benefits.
    Food Court Apprentice

User Tag List