Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nightforce NXS 1-4, still relevant?

I run NF on almost all my long guns. There is no tougher scope, period. The 1-4 is tougher than any of the scopes you listed. There are no "flaws" with it whatsoever. Its limitations come from being a 4X, but if you don't need more magnification, that's not a flaw. The illum isn't a real daylight option, but as you mentioned, its not really needed. I keep it on so that when I go indoors I can still use it. None of the 1-6's or 1-8's are as light and well balanced. Some of them have a nicer picture due to more modern glass prescriptions, but I don't find the NXS compacts to be bad in that regard.

Also, and though this is less important on the 1-4 compared to the more LR oriented optics, what sets NF apart from almost everyone else is the fidelity of their turrets and reticles. When you dial a correction, you get that correction, every single time. That is much more important to precision than a nicer color picture. Though again, their newer stuff has a newer prescription and the BEAST is pretty peerless in picture as well.

NF is releasing some impressive new scopes at SHOT this year, so you might wait till then to see if something else floats your boat, but I assure you, you can't go wrong with the 1-4 on a GP carbine.

Did I make it clear that I like NF a ton?:-)

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I run NF on almost all my long guns. There is no tougher scope, period. The 1-4 is tougher than any of the scopes you listed. There are no "flaws" with it whatsoever. Its limitations come from being a 4X, but if you don't need more magnification, that's not a flaw. The illum isn't a real daylight option, but as you mentioned, its not really needed. I keep it on so that when I go indoors I can still use it. None of the 1-6's or 1-8's are as light and well balanced. Some of them have a nicer picture due to more modern glass prescriptions, but I don't find the NXS compacts to be bad in that regard.

Also, and though this is less important on the 1-4 compared to the more LR oriented optics, what sets NF apart from almost everyone else is the fidelity of their turrets and reticles. When you dial a correction, you get that correction, every single time. That is much more important to precision than a nicer color picture. Though again, their newer stuff has a newer prescription and the BEAST is pretty peerless in picture as well.

NF is releasing some impressive new scopes at SHOT this year, so you might wait till then to see if something else floats your boat, but I assure you, you can't go wrong with the 1-4 on a GP carbine.

Did I make it clear that I like NF a ton?:-)
    Will they release any more 1x- optics or evolve this one?

I'm not at liberty to say, but yes. :-)

I'm not at liberty to say, but yes. :-)
    Will I know after shot? Will whatever they do increase cost exponentially?

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Will I know after shot? Will whatever they do increase cost exponentially?
    I really can't talk about what they intend to release other than to say they have some pretty nice new scopes that take advantage of all the latest technology. Nonetheless, the 1-4 is tough to beat. Built like a 16oz hammer and is very shootable.

As far as cost, there is no free lunch, but NF seems to do a good job of keeping costs comparable to there historic lines, and when they do raise them, they don't seem to be too bad. They have a mil/le program, if you are able to take advantage of that. However, do not expect to see the kinds of discounts that a company like Bushnell can provide. There is a world of difference between how those scopes are made.

I really can't talk about what they intend to release other than to say they have some pretty nice new scopes that take advantage of all the latest technology. Nonetheless, the 1-4 is tough to beat. Built like a 16oz hammer and is very shootable.

As far as cost, there is no free lunch, but NF seems to do a good job of keeping costs comparable to there historic lines, and when they do raise them, they don't seem to be too bad. They have a mil/le program, if you are able to take advantage of that. However, do not expect to see the kinds of discounts that a company like Bushnell can provide. There is a world of difference between how those scopes are made.
    Understood. Verified through NF that only 3 new scopes are coming out, none in 1X. Already announced the specs for them, etc.

Not MIL/LE, and don't try to skim their discounts. I'm in the part of the service industry who gets discounts on cell plans and cars, lol (Healthcare). Sadly, not on firearms, ammo, etc. That said, the guys at Sport Optics that I am friends with treat me very fairly.

I didn't realize they had released the data on the new ones already. I'm quite sure there will be a 1X-more than 4. It is a military contract requirement. May not be released at the same time, but it is ready, so probably not long after. I'll ask if I can share a bit more about it later today.

I didn't realize they had released the data on the new ones already. I'm quite sure there will be a 1X-more than 4. It is a military contract requirement. May not be released at the same time, but it is ready, so probably not long after. I'll ask if I can share a bit more about it later today.
    This is all public info:

ATACR 5-25x56 F1
    ATACR 4-16x42 F1
    SHV 3-10x42

That is all that I am aware of them releasing. Of course, I am not connected. So I don't know anything that the rest of the world doesn't and they may well be holding back on what you're talking about, but thus far, this is all they have said is going to be shown at SHOT. Hell, it's just a few days away, anyway. I can wait and see.

The 1-XX scope will not be released at SHOT. Sorry.

The 1-XX scope will not be released at SHOT. Sorry.
    Fair enough. NRA, or likely not this year?

User Tag List