Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 is the year to dump the .308?

F2S, I came to the same conclusion. I no longer own any bolt guns. I did this about 2 years ago. My "multi role" rifle is an SR25EMC with a USO 1-8 on it. my two precision Semi's are a Larue OBR in 308 with a 16" Barrel and a GA Precision in .260 rem with a 22" Barrel. All 3 are well below 1 moa rifles.

I've shot with Frank and know him a bit. Everything he said is spot on, and he absolutely knows his LR precision.

I also completely agree with F2S and Sean. But, different games, different guns, so to speak. To expand on F2S's idea, my version would be a 14.5 or 16" 308 semiauto, and for when I need more, a 300WM bolt gun. If you need more still, a 338 or a .50 are also options, but with a 230 Berger, the 300WM is not your granddad's magnum anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    The .308 definitely has some benefits... because of developed ammo in semi auto platforms. Almost all of the .308 drawbacks are irrelevant within 200m, which is the application used in carbines.

6.5 has benefits, but the ballistics of 7mm-08 are superior in energy, wounding potential, equal on wind and not far removed on drop (in well chosen ammo, like the Nosler ABLR as measured by Brian Litz for BC), so the article is a bit of a disservice.
    Are you saying that the 7-08 is superior for hunting? That would make some sense to me as opposed to saying it's superior for competition as well.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Pretty sure I won't be selling off my deer gun anytime soon.
    Same here
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Are you saying that the 7-08 is superior for hunting? That would make some sense to me as opposed to saying it's superior for competition as well.
    Pretty sure my positives of energy and wounding don't count for much on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    Pretty sure my positives of energy and wounding don't count for much on paper.
    I'm not the smartest guy
    #RESIST

In my ignorance, I've been operating under the assumption that for practicing LR technique, the 308 seems like a good round to do high-volume practice. Price, availability, and performance that mimics the other "serious" calibers much better than 22lr, which is great practice when the range distance is limited. At this stage, I'm less worried about performance because there are so many gains yet to be had by improving the systems behind the rifle. I could be convinced to switch calibers if there was another round that was better for high-volume practice. (Not that I do nearly as much volume as I'd like to or should do...)
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

The 7-08 is "superior" to the 308 in about every regard, but not enough to make it worth switching to for competition. It was tried, and now that time is over. The 6's is where it is at now, no doubt. For hunting in NA, there is nothing you can't do cleanly with a 308 that you can do with a 7-08, so pick what you like.

MDS,

the 308 doesn't really "mimic" anything else much. It is a great round for learning on for a few reasons, but the 6.5 Creedmore is probably the smarter choice today, unless you have specific circumstances that dictate the 308. Like 10,000 rds of 175 GMM sitting around. Otherwise, the 6.5 probably makes more sense to start with.

fwiw, I'm pretty seriously into LR shooting and I mostly still use 308. Not because its the best choice though.

The only reason my current bolt rifle is 308 is because I haven't gotten around to rebarreling it. When I do it will be a 260 Remington.

Yeah, 6 mm bla bla bla, yeah, 6.5 Creedmoor bla bla bla.... I've used the 260 R in NRA HP before, I have the tools, have the load data, and I know the performance. Not going to change.

As for dumping bolt actions for precision work, I'm not feeling the love.

Interesting info here. The .260, .300WM and .375H&H have morphed into my three rifles to cover all of AK and lower 48. Evaluating the 9.3x62 to possibly displace the .375.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List