Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: 2015 is the year to dump the .308?

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    Thanks! That barrel was 26" plus the can (a cheapie C3 Defense). They key to that velocity is to have an excellent gunsmith (Aaron Roberts at Roberts Precision Rifles), have the barrel throated for the long bullet, to use good brass ( I used virgin lake city in that barrel), and use 8208XBR. Varget and 4895 almost got me there, but 8208 was like magic. Plus it meters like water, and is very temperature stable.

I think I had 9-10 firings on the brass before I tossed it for looser primer pockets than I like. I switched to Lapua brass on my new barrel, and have 4 firings so far with no issues.
    Sounds like a cool setup. Is this 223 or 223AI? Do the heavy bullets cause a shorter barrel life?

Do you find Lapua 223 brass to have thicker necks and do you do anything in your reloading to compensate for it? The recent batch that I have seems to be at least .001" thicker and was wondering if I should change my sizing bushing to compensate for it. Do you anneal your brass periodically?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by 223AI View Post
    Thanks! That barrel was 26" plus the can (a cheapie C3 Defense). They key to that velocity is to have an excellent gunsmith (Aaron Roberts at Roberts Precision Rifles), have the barrel throated for the long bullet, to use good brass ( I used virgin lake city in that barrel), and use 8208XBR. Varget and 4895 almost got me there, but 8208 was like magic. Plus it meters like water, and is very temperature stable.

I think I had 9-10 firings on the brass before I tossed it for looser primer pockets than I like. I switched to Lapua brass on my new barrel, and have 4 firings so far with no issues.
    Very interesting, thanks for the reply.

Site Supporter
    I haven't had the chance to read the whole thread, so I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this...

I've been asking our Remington reps for years to do a factory heavy barrel 700 in 260 with a twist rate that will stabilize the heavy, long high BC bullets. Apparently, someone was listening.

At a recent trade show, a little birdie told me that Remington will soon be offering a 26" 1-8 twist 700 SPS Varmint in 260 as well as a distributor exclusive 700 SS, long-action, 5R, 1-8.25 twist, threaded 260 in an HS stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    At a recent trade show, a little birdie told me that Remington will soon be offering a 26" 1-8 twist 700 SPS Varmint in 260 as well as a distributor exclusive 700 SS, long-action, 5R, 1-8.25 twist, threaded 260 in an HS stock.
    They all will be gone as soon as word spreads on SH.

2015 is the year to dump the .308?

I am getting a facelift on my hunting rifle... An already very capable and useful FN in .308. New stock, bottom metal and trigger, but more importantly.... A shorter, heavier profile barrel. The gunsmith is desperately trying to convince me to switch over to 6.5C for this short barrel 800 yard rifle. It's a difficult decision to make!

Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post
    I am getting a facelift on my hunting rifle... An already very capable and useful FN in .308. New stock, bottom metal and trigger, but more importantly.... A shorter, heavier profile barrel. The gunsmith is desperately trying to convince me to switch over to 6.5C for this short barrel 800 yard rifle. It's a difficult decision to make!
    Have you had issues making 800 yard shots with your 308?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    *cough* http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/0...tridge-matter/

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I've never made a shot at 800 yards. Up until recently, I have only ever used a rifle for hunting scenarios, out to 500 yards. I'd like to expand my abilities and be proficient a little bit further out. Could 308 do it? Absolutely! Would 6.5 maybe offer a few slight advantages? Probably. Just weighing my options for a practical type hunting rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post
    I've never made a shot at 800 yards. Up until recently, I have only ever used a rifle for hunting scenarios, out to 500 yards. I'd like to expand my abilities and be proficient a little bit further out. Could 308 do it? Absolutely! Would 6.5 maybe offer a few slight advantages? Probably. Just weighing my options for a practical type hunting rifle.
    The 6.5 would make it easier for certain.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Especially if there's some wind, or your ranging ability is lacking.

User Tag List