Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 is the year to dump the .308?

2015 is the year to dump the .308?

Article: The 6.5mm solution

Article really needs editing but the data is solid.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Timely article - I want to spend more time on Precision Style Rifle this year.

Good as it goes, but I'd submit that 2010 was the year to dump the .308. The 6.5 Creedmore has been out for how long now?
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Interesting. I've contemplated replacing our SRT 308 sniper rifles with something in the 260 range. I haven't explored what is available in ammo though.

2015 is the year to dump the bolt-action .308?

I would agree with my edit.
    Personally, I have 0 need for a bolt .308.
    Since all of my .308 use is built around a 16" or 14.5" semi-auto, in order to dump the cartridge I would need a superior 0-800 meter cartridge that feeds and shoots reliably from a 20+ round magazine, that gives equal or better performance in tissue, and for barrier defeat.
    I think that the .260 and some other cartridges hold promise, but are hampered by minimum barrel length requirements to see the ballistic advantage and the lack of bulk high-density training/burner ammo and other specialty ammo natures.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

I guess I'll have to side with F2S (again).

Helluva read... But... WTKitten to I know about rifles?!

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    2015 is the year to dump the bolt-action .308?

I would agree with my edit.
    Personally, I have 0 need for a bolt .308.
    Since all of my .308 use is built around a 16" or 14.5" semi-auto, in order to dump the cartridge I would need a superior 0-800 meter cartridge that feeds and shoots reliably from a 20+ round magazine, that gives equal or better performance in tissue, and for barrier defeat.
    I think that the .260 and some other cartridges hold promise, but are hampered by minimum barrel length requirements to see the ballistic advantage and the lack of bulk high-density training/burner ammo and other specialty ammo natures.
    I'm very certain that the article was written from the perspective of the long range match shooter and those guys prefer bolt guns due to the extra bits of accuracy one can eke out from a bolt. From your perspective, what you posted makes absolute sense.
    #RESIST

The .308 definitely has some benefits... because of developed ammo in semi auto platforms. Almost all of the .308 drawbacks are irrelevant within 200m, which is the application used in carbines.

6.5 has benefits, but the ballistics of 7mm-08 are superior in energy, wounding potential, equal on wind and not far removed on drop (in well chosen ammo, like the Nosler ABLR as measured by Brian Litz for BC), so the article is a bit of a disservice.

Pretty sure I won't be selling off my deer gun anytime soon.

User Tag List