Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two ND's in a year

Two ND's in a year

There's a YouTuber named Sootch00 who is very popular with the enthusiasts and does a bunch of gun review type videos. I watched a G-Code one once but never paid attention to anything further because the gun handling exhibited didn't inspire confidence. Someone recently linked to this video on another forum, where he shows 2 ND's (2,36 and just the aftermath of another at 4,52) and says they happened in the past year. I don't want to seem like I'm throwing stones/glass houses stuff, but that seems like a lot. And I'm doubtful this guy is taking a class or shooting a match every weekend.

Should he get a pat on the back for making this video so others can learn from his mistakes, or derided for his frequent lapses in gun safety?

http://youtu.be/sEgGiTVLUuM?t=2m36s

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Should he get a pat on the back for making this video so others can learn from his mistakes, or derided for his frequent lapses in gun safety?
    Maybe a little of both? I'm not gonna beat the guy up too much as he could have never shown those two incidences but chose to publicize his mistakes as a warning so kudos for that. Hope he's more careful in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    There's a YouTuber named Sootch00 who is very popular with the enthusiasts and does a bunch of gun review type videos. I watched a G-Code one once but never paid attention to anything further because the gun handling exhibited didn't inspire confidence. Someone recently linked to this video on another forum, where he shows 2 ND's (2,36 and just the aftermath of another at 4,52) and says they happened in the past year. I don't want to seem like I'm throwing stones/glass houses stuff, but that seems like a lot. And I'm doubtful this guy is taking a class or shooting a match every weekend.

http://youtu.be/sEgGiTVLUuM?t=2m36s
    Im certain the "edit" menu has a part in why there arent more "Tex Grebner :The SERPA!" sequel videos.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

It takes some guts to upload a video like that. He doesn't get a pass for the NDs but he should be commended for letting the rest of us learn from his mistakes when it'd be far easier to pretend it never happened.

I've seen some people we'd all consider highly experienced and qualified do some pretty stupid things with firearms, if only from a moments lack of attention. I'll admit I've been on that list a couple of times over the years. If you handle weapons enough the law of averages will dictate that sooner or later it will happen. I don't consider Sootch to be a particularly knowledgeable SESM (Semi-Expert of the Subject Matter) as I've never seen one of his videos that wasn't full of factual errors. On the other hand, kudos to him for turning his Private Pyle moments into a PSA.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Don't flame me too much, but most folks out there shouldn't have guns, cars, tools, reproductive organs or oxygen. He's just a verification.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    No one can maintain perfect attention under all conditions. Even the best can falter at times. I've seen very high end folks make a mistake.

It happens in every performance domain. Why should gun usage be different?

A zero defect mentality (note: different than zero tolerance) is counterproductive to learning, and creates a feeling of superiority among those who have yet to make a mistake. Kinda similar mechanism, in my opinion, that people use to make pretend that Nazis or Soviets were incredibly evil beyond belief on a fundamental level we are not capable of....and so we can never have a genocide like them.

I despise those sorts of social stigmas.

Similarly, in technical diving the majority of us have a mentality that it's not if you get bent, it's a matter of when. In anything you do in life, regardless of doing everything right, you can still have problems. This is why we have multiple redundant safety rules.

He may have not been following them, but he should absolutely NOT be accosted for admitting to his mistakes and trying to use them to enlighten others. He's not exactly a saint or doing any groundbreaking research as techniques to safe gun handling are well known and easily accessible to those willing to learn.....but going back to my sentiments on detriments to learning, he shouldn't be punished for "nutting up."
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

his description on the first perfectly demonstrated how amazingly easy it is to have SHTF. Middle of a review, has to run an errand, tanks back up the review gun, comes home, drops mag and forgets to clear the chamber. I wouldn't personally beat the guy up too bad over it, for the simple fact that it could happen to any of us. His brain probably hadn't switched fully back into "review" mode and since it wasn't the start of the review but in the middle, didn't perform what I expect would be his normal "check" procedures for a review. I want to say it was Caleb that wrote about this exact type of thing years back when talking about dry fire practice: if you get interrupted for some reason, take a couple moments to get your head back in the right frame of mind, redo all your safety steps, then go on with your practice. I think it follows along with adherence to Rule #1... all guns are always loaded. If you put down a gun you've been holding, even if you KNOW it was unloaded when you put it down, you check it again for the simple fact it was out of your direct control for some period of time.

I agree with TGS: it's pretty much a matter of WHEN, not IF, something goes wrong.

Finally, I think the correct response is a handshake for manning up and showing what can happen, so as to help remind the rest of us to BE CAREFUL... and a friendly slap upside the head to remind HIM to not do it again.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    A zero defect mentality (note: different than zero tolerance) is counterproductive to learning, and creates a feeling of superiority among those who have yet to make a mistake.
    A friend of mine works in IT at a big GSE. If they make 3 mistakes that impact operations, they're gone. It's a great way to freeze all infrastructure in time, and make everyone scared to make any changes, even if it's good for the organization.

User Tag List