Thread: Subcompact pistol lights for AIWB carry.

Subcompact pistol lights for AIWB carry.

Im new here, been lurking for a while, but this seems like a good forum with some very knowlegdeable shooters. Anyway, I've been considering getting a weapon mounted light for my off duty gun. (I have an X300 on my PD gun) I currently carry a S&W M&P 9c in a Raven concealment ACR and love the setup. I would like to be able to maintain my current location (appendix carry) with a very small light mounted to the pistol. Ive searched the inter webs extensively and have only found a couple of options when it comes to very small weapon mounted lights:

Streamlight TLR 3.

This seems like a good option, until I read several reviews saying that the mounting hardware on the light tends to break after a very short period of time due to being made of plastic. I want to be able to train with the light mounted and not worry about breaking it during holster presentations.

The Viridian C5L.

This seems like the smallest option out there. There isn't a ton of information on the web about this light other than a few very basic youtube reviews and some basic articles about the features. Im wondering mainly about long term durability and utility as a full time WML mounted to a daily carry gun. Does anyone here use one of these on a daily basis for carry? If you do, how do you like it and would you recommend this as a full time pistol light?

The Viridian X5L

This is a brighter, larger version of the C5L, but still seems about the same size overall when mounted as the Streetlight TLR 3. There really is very little useful info about this light on the net. I can't even find any photos of one mounted to an M&P compact, aside from one where it appears that a guy has slid it onto the rail without installing the retaining screws. If anyone has one of these, how do they perform, would you recommend them and if you have an M&P compact, do they fit?

Im leaning strongly toward the C5L, but some info Ive found about durability and the battery door design give me pause. Any real world experience with these lights would be great to hear about. Thanks!

Have you considered the Crimson trace light guard? I think that the profile would better lend itself to comfort in the AIWB position, and the built in switch is a plus in my book.

ETA: Apologies, I went to look and they apparently don't do the lightguard for the M&P Compact. My bad.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List