Thread: 6.8 ammo

6.8 ammo

Which ammo has shown to be tops in terminal performance in FBI tests for 6.8x43? Thanks

There are several good choices, depending on what you are using it for but according to Doc the best for self defense/CONUS LE use are: Barnes 85gr TSX, Nosler 100gr Accubond, Hornady 110gr OTM, Federal 90gr XM68GD. So I'd go with one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by ack495 View Post
    There are several good choices, depending on what you are using it for but according to Doc the best for self defense/CONUS LE use are: Barnes 85gr TSX, Nosler 100gr Accubond, Hornady 110gr OTM, Federal 90gr XM68GD. So I'd go with one of those.
    The 85 TSX is my go to bullet in this round. For everything other than 'yotes.

Quote Originally Posted by ack495 View Post
    OK great,seems the only Accubond and TSX I can find are loaded by SSA,read a few mixed reviews on their ammo,found the 110 gr bthp by Hornady for about $15/20 rounds,Gold Dot for $16/20 rounds,the GD doesn't seem to penetrate as deep as I"d like,II prefer 15+"

For defensive use against human aggressors, the best performing barrier capable bullet in the FBI protocols has been the Remington 115 gr CLUB JSP; unfortunately the Remington loading is somewhat anemic. Other bullets that offer acceptable defensive terminal performance the ATK/Federal/Speer 90 gr Gold Dot, the Nosler 100 gr Accubond, and Barnes 85 gr TSX. For unobstructed targets, the Hornady 110 gr OTM has been superb; the 110 gr Hornady AMAX is similar, but a bit shallower in penetration. The new Hornady 100 gr GMX has a LOT of potential.

For hunting game up to Elk size, the 100 gr Hornady GMX, 95 gr Barnes TTSX, 110 gr Barnes TSX, 110 gr Nosler Accubond, 115 gr Federal Fusion (a Gold Dot bullet), and 120 gr Hornady SST are all acceptable choices.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    I have been buying up 6.8 SPC 115 grain Federal Fusion on the Thanksgiving-Christmas-PostChristmas etc. sales. I have found some great prices on the Fusion and plenty to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    For defensive use against human aggressors, the best performing barrier capable bullet in the FBI protocols has been the Remington 115 gr CLUB JSP; unfortunately the Remington loading is somewhat anemic…..
    For hunting game up to Elk size, the 100 gr Hornady GMX, 95 gr Barnes TTSX, 110 gr Barnes TSX, 110 gr Nosler Accubond, 115 gr Federal Fusion (a Gold Dot bullet), and 120 gr Hornady SST are all acceptable choices.
    Doc,

If the 115gr CLUB JSP is such a great all around bullet, wouldn't the Federal Fusion 115gr also be a good general purpose LE/self defense load as well? I see here you list it as a good hunting round, which it is. But since the gold dots and fusions are similarly constructed, wouldn't the 115gr fusion perform like the 90gr gold dot but with a couple more inches of penetration? The gold dots you've tested in past did approx 12" in bare gel, so I'm thinking the slightly heavier fusions would come in around 15-16", which be ideal. Just speculation of course because I've never seen any formal gel tests for this round.
    Last edited by ack495; 12-28-2014 at 12:57 PM.

We have not shot enough 115 gr Fusion to know yet; Fusion QC is also generally not quite as thorough as Gold Dot. We'll see how it shakes out in the next few months.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    PSA is running special on 6.8 ammo including the Hornady 110 (not sure if same ammo referenced above).

Looking forward to some actual testing data for the 6.8 fusions.

Doc, one 6.8 round that seems like an unknown dark horse is the Nosler/SSA 90gr PPT bonded. The description of this round indicates it would be a great round for self defense/LE use. However there is no data available out there that I can find. Any plans to test this round? If not, I'll gladly forward along some ammo.

User Tag List