Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Right arm of the free world

Right arm of the free world

DS Arms SA58 16" FAL carbine is headed my way.
    With the holidays slowing everything down it probably won't be here until after New Years, but that just gives me more time to set in a stock of .308 ammo.
    I've been on a real battle rifle bender lately and it's starting to make my shoulder sore.

Attachment 2907
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I had one of those and stupidly sold it. I rarely regret selling or trading guns but that one gets me.

I just need some yellow lens Ray-Ban Aviators, tight khaki short shorts and a "Be A Man Among Men" T-shirt and I can act out the dreams of my youth.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I had one of the very first ones of those ever brought in. Good guns, but I was never a huge FAL fan compared to the Hk 91/G3. I recently got rid of it.........when you have a 50.63 in the safe it's okay. The 50.63 is staying for the long haul. The DSA's are nice, but I don't care what anybody says, they are not the real thing. They are great for shooters so you can keep the real ones nice.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    I had one of the very first ones of those ever brought in. Good guns, but I was never a huge FAL fan compared to the Hk 91/G3.
    Due to capabilities/features of the guns, or were you just that much more familiar with the HK91 due to work?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Imbel/Azex build. Belgian dog, Belgian rifle.

#RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Due to capabilities/features of the guns, or were you just that much more familiar with the HK91 due to work?
    Very much due to work. I have spent a ton of time on the MP-5 which we used extensively, and used the 91 both at work and in competition. The biggest issue with the FAL for me was it wasn't really part of a "system". My place also issued Colt Subguns for patrol along with the AR-15. Again, everything is working the same as part of a system. Additionally, I have been to both HK and Colt factory armorer schools.

Back in the days when we were shooting combat rifle competition (we test shot all the SOF 3 gun courses as typical of the stuff we were doing), the FALS were really tough to scope. The guy who came up with one of the best FAL optics mounts out there, and what I ran on my DSA was Ed Verdugo from GRSC who I shot with all the time. He was really good on the FAL, but had a harder time with the optics at the time compared to my 91 with a factory claw mount or the M1A's.

My best friend spent a lifetime overseas in very bad places. He loved the FAL, but also was a realist in that they had lots of small parts inside and were tough to maintain without logistic support (same criticism of the AR platform) and ended up running AK based systems and the AUG as his primary work guns.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I just need some yellow lens Ray-Ban Aviators, tight khaki short shorts and a "Be A Man Among Men" T-shirt and I can act out the dreams of my youth.
    Lmao.

I've had one of those faked up DSA's for about fifteen years now. When I went through my battle rifle phase I owned them all and the FALforgery was the only one I kept long term. In spite of using an M14 in the service and an MP5 in LE work, I never really warmed to either design and found the Galil to be a real pig of a rifle. I found the FAL to be my favorite genral purpose go-to thirty caliber rifle. If I was going to scope it I'd choose another design, but for an all around rifle I like the FAL.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List