Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Front sight paint??

Does anyone else have an issue with the square versus round front sight dot when hand painted? Perhaps I am doing it wrong, but it does bother me.

On the other hand, my wife also was immensely bothered that her Trijicon HD front sight was not a perfectly concentric round dot, but rather somewhat oval / egg shaped due to slant of the sight ramp and lamp insert. This apparently stood out to a much greater degree for her than I in my far less OCD ways would ever have noticed....

Maybe she has better eyesight at that spot also.

Should look round from straight behind it though,....shouldnt it?

I use a base coat of white Liquid Paper, and then Testor's flourescent-I've got their kit as well, and have experimented with the flourescent green, yellow, red, orange and pink. My current preference is to use green (or a green-yellow mix) for the front sight, and orange for the rears, which provides a very quick pick-up, and minimizes "dot confusion," also aids in front sight concentration.

Best, Jon

I have used Testor's Orange and Red after a coat of White on several front sights but have none in use at this time. I use the Testor's paint to mark my magazines and change magazines and colors yearly.

Go with Revlon's "Front Sight Flame."

(No, I made that up.)

I have been having good luck with some orange self adhesive tape I got off Amazon. (Install method found on TLG's blog.) Also, I've found vinyl "jig paint" (for fishing lures) works well. Same drill. Degrease. White base coat. Two top coats.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

I have been using these for years, a very good product;
    https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Clean...ight-Pens.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I have been using these for years, a very good product;
    https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Clean...ight-Pens.aspx
    I found the same exact thing in flourescent colors at a craft store (Hobby Lobby I think).

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    I found the same exact thing in flourescent colors at a craft store (Hobby Lobby I think).
    I've tried some of the craft store stuff, got better results from the BC product. Not sure it it's what's in the paint or what, but it's brighter and sticks better.

Site Supporter
    I like "Hot Tamale", an orange, slightly metallic FN polish avail. at Wal-Mart at under 2.00 for painted front sights. Having said that, I have shifted over to Ameriglo orange fronts on just about everything now.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I like "Hot Tamale", an orange, slightly metallic FN polish avail. at Wal-Mart at under 2.00 for painted front sights. Having said that, I have shifted over to Ameriglo orange fronts on just about everything now.
    My friend, VCD's "Hot Tamale" is what got me to Walmart, where I ultimately found "Traffic Cone" orange. You gotstobe a confident dude to walk up to the Walmart person and ask for "Hot Tamale" nail polish, and when she asks if it is for your wife, say "no."
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List