Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ambushed in Brooklyn

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    Murderer was a turd. In this case religion was IMHO irrelevant -- he was a 'muslim' but by social media feeds was more of a thug than anything else.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Will Todd bring out the titanium Hebrew Hammer for the first time before 2015? Inquiring minds want to know.
    No. I do agree with the others that if the forum is going to have a discussion about Islam, it should go in another thread. I'd also like to remind folks that derogatory race- or religion-based comments are not going to be tolerated. But intelligent, honest, non-derogatory discussion will be.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Will Todd bring out the titanium Hebrew Hammer for the first time before 2015? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Oh my god...IMI gave Todd a titanium Tavor?

I don't really follow it in the US. In Canada we have moderate Muslim groups that denounce every act like this pretty publicly. There are still people who refuse to be aware of the denunciations, though.

I would tend to agree that religion played a pretty small role in this act.

I think being an absolute piece of human garbage paid a very large role, and I'm sorry that two officers paid with their lives for the existence of a two-bit thug. My hope is that this serves as some kind of wake-up call for people who've been imagining that police are simply perpetrators of violence on an innocent populous.

But I think those people are willfully ignorant as well.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Fair enough. It is not my place to say what we should do.
    Thanks. As for not being your place to say, who's place is it to say? As a citizen under a representative government, your vote counts, your opinion counts, you count. You sure seem to think the religion as a whole presents a big problem, and it sure sounds like you have an opinion on what should be done to correct that problem. I may not agree, but you have as much right to your opinion as I have to mine!

I can only tell you what I will do when next I am confronted by one who tries to kill me in the name of [...]
    I'm glad you came out of that! Would you have acted differently if the attempted murder was motivated by pure greed to steal your stuff? By mental illness to kill the Illuminati? By race-baiting Reverends to retaliate against perceived injustices? So the muslim thing is a distinction without a difference here. (I hope.)

What do you think we should do?
    I don't really think Islam is a problem, per se. I think we should dispatch swift and robust justice on violent criminals. I think we should enable the people of this great country to provide for the swiftest and most robust justice possible, by arming them, training them, and encouraging the use of lethal force to prevent violent felonies. But none of these answer the question of "what should we do about Islam," because that question is a non-sequitur in my world-view. If that makes sense?
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Why we should all convert to the peaceful, loving religion of islam of course.

This thread is about cops being murdered. The murder is a convert to the peaceful, loving religion of islam. We should start a new thread discussing that peaceful, loving religion of islam don't you think?
    Nation of Islam was founded in 1930 , and is essentially the KKK with a spray on tan.

Actual Islam was founded circa 653 CE, and is totally different in purpose and nature.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

OK, thread being moved to Romper Room. We can start a another thread for the Brooklyn murders, one that will remain on topic as our LE section does not have a "religious debate" section.
    #RESIST

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    "The news media" wants to do one thing: Sell commercials. They sell commercials by delivering eyeballs. They deliver eyeballs by delivering the most titillating news as dramatically as possible, with the catchiest music and the most eye-catching graphics and prettiest/most handsome talking heads...
    I'd put it to you that the news media is as interested in making opinion as making a profit...and often more in favor of making opinion than making a profit.
    3/15/2016

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I'd put it to you that the news media is as interested in making opinion as making a profit...and often more in favor of making opinion than making a profit.
    I believe you to be wrong. (For starters, there is no monolithic entity that can reasonably be described as "the news media".)
    Last edited by Tamara; 12-21-2014 at 08:10 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I don't know if I agree. I mean, there are plenty of ideologues on both sides all over the AM band. But the thing that makes the mainstream media, well, mainstream, is that it's very successful. They became successful by echoing, or at least resonating with, opinions that were already popular. And while a media channel, once it's achieved mainstream status, can certainly influence some specific opinions, I don't think it can drastically transform the core values that ultimately drive a zeitgeist and its manifestations... because a media channel that paints a picture, however factual, that is incompatible with those values, doesn't stay mainstream for long.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Site Supporter
    Given the shooting of the girl friend, a history of various criminal trouble and mental problems - I might posit that we are seeing a motivation for suicide and specifically by cop as a primary cause. The events of recent times channeled the ideation and posting as a rationale for the actions. Thus, the suicide was in some way justified.

While this is worth what you paid for it - I think it is a reasonable hypothesis. Might he had acted in a different way without the ideology - no way to know. Were the current inflamed media presentations and some governmental rhetoric causal? I think it might have accelerated the road to action. It was interactive.

A recent study of suicide bombers indicates that most do have some mental problems, then the ideology smooths or channels their actions. We've certainly seen other rampage killers with manifestos.

These incidents certainly argue for public restraint in rhetoric. But you can't count on the media or politicians for such.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Given the shooting of the girl friend, a history of various criminal trouble and mental problems - I might posit that we are seeing a motivation for suicide and specifically by cop as a primary cause.
    Except (a) he ambushed the police and killed them in a way that posed no chance of him being killed in the act and then (b) killed himself rather than waiting for cops to do it for him.

I certainly cannot claim to have any mental health training or expertise but this doesn't seem like suicide-by-cop as I understand it.

User Tag List