Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Eotech EXPS3-0 + G33 Magnifier

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Defoor told me and a class full of students that while deployed in the field, he changed his Eotech batteries every day.
    I once chatted with a couple of guys from Jacksonville SO SWAT team (a pretty squared away outfit) who mentioned their disillusionment with EOTechs after standing at the ready on a barricaded suspect for a couple of hours who happened to go jackrabbit out of the building just after the EOTechs turned themselves off. Because it's not like somebody might need to be ready to shoot in an instant for a few hours or anything...

Batteries was the biggie for the local PDs. It was especially bad in one PD who kept carbines in a locker until approved for limited deployment. On the rare occasions where they were pulled out (qualifying, usually) the optics were dead across the board because they'd eaten their batteries. In fairness, the optics worked better than the heinous builds they had attached them to, but still.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 01-23-2015 at 09:20 AM.
    3/15/2016

So what would be the best non Aimpoint red dot on a carbine -- RMR, Delta Point or Eo?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I think Pannone was using RMR's.

Not sure how that fits into good better best but they're pretty decent and handle the recoil from being on a slide.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    So what would be the best non Aimpoint red dot on a carbine -- RMR, Delta Point or Eo?
    There's also the Trijicon SRS and the new Leupold LCO; also maybe one of the Mepro optics, not sure if those are worth a damn (though I doubt it), or one of the Zeiss offerings. The Deltapoint Pro might beat out the RMR on the MRDS side of things for carbines. And FWIW, I've been told there's a new optic coming out that will blow the competition away; comes from a reliable source, but beyond that little tidbit, don't know anything else, not even manufacturer or approximate release date, so who knows, although I'm inclined to think it's an MRDS rather than a full sized one, given the source's focus.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I've run RMRs on all my carbines on the reg with no issues, but I'm not a real "hard use" rifle shooter. But I've got one that's been on 3 different rifles in as many years and has yet to have a problem. One of those years was spent doing some reasonably serious shooting/getting banged around.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I have been searching for a unicorn for some time, now. A "do it all" optic. While everyone knows such a creature does not exist, I think I have come very close.

The good:

The Eotech is the fastest CQB optic I know of. It is a pure "assaulter" optic, and that's what you will see on the guns of those who assault. SEAL teams, SWAT officers, etc. I chose this optic because I do not leave a round in my M4. I leave it cruiser ready. If I can rack a charging handle, I can press a button to turn it on. The Aimpoint is the natural competitor of the Eotech, which is why I raise this. Further, you will likely have to adjust the Aimpoint or Eotech regardless, depending on ambient light, etc.

The Eotech has "clear" glass without a "tint". At night through the magnifier, this is VERY nice. Aimpoint isn't in the same ballpark, here.

It is ALL about gross-motor skills. There is no tiny ring, and there is no switch. You knock the magnifier out of the way---and that mount is SOLID. No flop, no rattle, and it is a very very decisive thing to move it from one position to the other.

The system is "adaptable", for example, if I am out hunting or whatnot, I can run the magnifier. If I have it by my bed, I can take the magnifier off and shed weight.

The bad:

It is heavy, about like a quality 1-6X optic + mount, with the magnifier in place.

It is expensive. Mine cost around $1,000 for the combo (or roughly 1/2 what a 6X optic runs...)

it only goes to 3X (for my environment, this is PLENTY. When I move, it will be MORE than plenty).

The Neutral:

Eye relief is decent. FAR better than a TA31 ACOG, but not quite as good as some of the best 1-6X optics.

The eyebox is decent. Again, not bad, but not great, either. I found it more tricky than the 1-6X scopes on 1X, but did not really mess with them on 3X, either, so it's hard to directly compare, but I wager it would perform about like a mid-grade 1-6X on 3X. Say, a Vortex, etc.

Over-all, I feel that the Eotech is one of the best RDS type optics available, and the G33 magnifier really gives it the legs someone might want for a 2-300 yard shot, or better PID, without breaking the bank, and without adding "mandatory" (you can't just cut the weight of a K16i in half when you turn it to 1X) weight or reducing 1X performance.

Forgive my ghetto "test platform", but my M4 doesn't need to be waggled around my neighborhood...Also, the reticle is centered when mounted on my rifle. Further, if it is NOT, you can adjust the position of the reticle in the magnifier via controls on the magnifier. This does NOT affect zero.

The balcony is at approximately 125m.
    I have no problem shooting small teacup plates at 300 yds off a bipod with my EXPS3-0,to the haters the XPS and EXPS line of sights fix the battery issue,one cr123 mounted transverse,the QD mount on mine locks up super tight,I like that you can estimate the MOA distance between dot and bottom half of the circle(32.5 moa),it's proven to be the fastest aiming device,I had the g33,liked it but with my vision it didn't help much,I need 9x+ to get any help lol....and didn't CRANE select the EXPS3-0 as their official CQ optic? I can't see them selecting junk....the factory brightness when you turn it on (12) is perfect in conjunction with my 600 lumen streamlight in the dead of night
    Last edited by witchking777; 01-23-2015 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    There's also the Trijicon SRS and the new Leupold LCO; also maybe one of the Mepro optics, not sure if those are worth a damn (though I doubt it), or one of the Zeiss offerings. The Deltapoint Pro might beat out the RMR on the MRDS side of things for carbines. And FWIW, I've been told there's a new optic coming out that will blow the competition away; comes from a reliable source, but beyond that little tidbit, don't know anything else, not even manufacturer or approximate release date, so who knows, although I'm inclined to think it's an MRDS rather than a full sized one, given the source's focus.
    My brother had the Mepro similar to the Trijicon,nice sight but that blue tint drove me nuts

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I think Pannone was using RMR's.

Not sure how that fits into good better best but they're pretty decent and handle the recoil from being on a slide.
    Yeah, an informal straw poll of cool kids would seem to point at RMRs right now. I have no issues with the Deltapoint on my spare M&P, but if I were to put an MRDS on a carbine right now it would likely be an RMR, just because it's a bit more butterfingers-proof and even my city-dweller cake-eating long guns get banged around more than my pistols.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by witchking777 View Post
    I have no problem shooting small teacup plates at 300 yds off a bipod with my EXPS3-0,to the haters the XPS and EXPS line of sights fix the battery issue,one cr123 mounted transverse,the QD mount on mine locks up super tight,I like that you can estimate the MOA distance between dot and bottom half of the circle(32.5 moa),it's proven to be the fastest aiming device,I had the g33,liked it but with my vision it didn't help much,I need 9x+ to get any help lol....and didn't CRANE select the EXPS3-0 as their official CQ optic? I can't see them selecting junk....the factory brightness when you turn it on (12) is perfect in conjunction with my 600 lumen streamlight in the dead of night
    Meet my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Lmao what the heck is that?!?

User Tag List