Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guides for Configuring Plate Carriers

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Guides for Configuring Plate Carriers

I have been trying to teach myself about plate carriers, and their various options for configuration, but I've run into an issue: no matter how much time I spend with Google, about 85% of the information regarding plate carriers seems to come from 12-year-old airsofters. So, I'm curious if anyone knows of any sources, that originate from experienced post-puberty practicing professionals (heh, EP3... I just made that up), regarding configuration of plate carriers. Please share your own thoughts, if you've the patience.

I ended up buying a Blue Force Gear LMAC (it was on sale), and two Paraclete Level-IV standalone ceramic plates from Tyr Tactical (they had a close-out sale combined with a Memorial Day sale, and I got both plates, delivered, for less than $300), but I don't have the slightest idea what to do with that equipment now.

As a side note, Tyr Tactical has a similar flash sale going on this moment (19-Dec-2014).

What is it that you are trying to learn?
    C Class shooter.

Insert plates into vest, put vest on, done? I'm confused as well
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

What do you need it to do? What mission are you trying to accomplish?
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    I would suggest light fighter.net. There are some good body armor threads there and it the primary population is LE/MIL. The fighting loadout thread on the stud board subform would be a place to start.

If you search there was also a thread on there with excellent pictures showing why you want to wear your plate carrier high covering your vitals.

Basically, I'm trying to learn what SOPs / rules of thumb are out there that guide positioning and utilizing things, and the rationale behind them.

I've come across various guidelines such as, "Never mount a piece of equipment so that you have to reach across more than half your body to access it", "Don't mount anything on your strong hand side that will interfere with your ability to draw your pistol", and "Keep a tourniquet on the center line of your body." I also recall John Johnston once mentioning that he had a med kit mounted in a "stupid place" (his words), and a friend had photos of it to tease him with - so I'm wondering, "What was a stupid place, and why?"

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    What do you need it to do? What mission are you trying to accomplish?
    Something appropriate for a rifle class that requires plates. My understanding is three rifle magazines, a reload for your pistol, and a tourniquet are pretty common requirements, but this is new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    Insert plates into vest, put vest on, done? I'm confused as well
    I did manage to figure that part out.

The biggest mistake that I see with plate carriers is wearing the plates too low. Either because there is too much crap on the front of the carrier, the plates/carrier are too big and impede use of the arms, or it's too loose.

The top of the plate needs to come up to the suprasternal/jugular notch or as high as you can wear the plates without getting choked when you sit down. You should be able to run in it without getting hit in the throat or too badly chafed, and still be able to breathe.

It's modular, try thing out and see how they work for you, over a 4-6 hour period. Trying something out with perfect posture for 20 minutes can lead to disappointment. The hardest thing to learn, is that just because there is a molle loop, you don't have to hang something off of it. Usually what you'll see at classes are plate carriers going on crash diets during breaks.
    <---Hates smart phones and kids on his lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by czech6 View Post
    The hardest thing to learn, is that just because there is a molle loop, you don't have to hang something off of it.
    And this is exactly why I'm asking around. Left to my own desire for superfluous gadgets, and my abundance of "good ideas", I'd end up l looking like this:

Name:  monkey-pals2.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  36.6 KB

[Side note for those who are not familiar: Mil-Spec Monkey was being facetious.]

If you can't readily explain why you have something on your gear, take it off. If you haven't run 3 miles with it on, take it off. If it's there only because someone said it should be, take it off. If you don't know how to use it proficiently, take it off. If you can't live without it, it shouldn't only be on your second line (PC/armor).

Gear lives by three simple mission statement:
    Make holes in threats, stop holes in you, plug holes in you/valuable other biological resources. Adjust accordingly.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Failure nailed it like usual. I have a mayflower APC that only has a D3 chest rig and tactical tailor camelback holder on the back. The only thing additional that the chest rig has in it besides 4 mags is: lube, a tourniquet set up for one handed application, a small ifak in one of the gp pouches(stupid easy to self administer), pistol mag, multitool, and knife that I had on a chest rig for both of my deployments. I transfer this minimalist approach to my belt (regular riggers, I dislike battle belts) which only has my pistol in a holster, speed reload for my rifle, and a small dump pouch. This is the base gear I usually had in country, it would be manipulated to fit my needs for particular taskers and patrols.

The two biggest mistakes I see people who never had to do a 8 hour patrol with gear on is that they fill every spot of molle they can and they wear their plates to low. The "I have it if I need it approach" is stupid to me and through experience you learn what you truly need based of the situation and adjust for it.

User Tag List