Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VP9 railsystem rated to hold 5oz?

VP9 railsystem rated to hold 5oz?

I've read that the VP9 rail is rated to hold 5oz ? I also read while looking at surfire X400 laser light that they weigh 5oz.

I haven't found a rating for the P30? I know the VP9 rail is longer and the front is different from the P30S I have.

How does HK VP9 rail rating compare to M&P 9 and G17 ? What are there ratings?

Anyway If my P30 rail was rated to hold a max of 5oz I don't know if I would want to mount a 5 ounce laser/light ???

I really do think that you're worrying too much.
    #RESIST

Even if the "load rating" of the rail is max 5oz. Does 5oz. not equal 5oz. where you come from?

What is it about the vp9 that brings out these types of questions?
    I bet there's a 10 page thread on the HK*** forum worrying about the vp9 rail's 5oz. rating complete with calibrated scales and frantic calls to customer service.

How about an easy answer.
    Just don't hang anything stupid off of it and you're good.
    Shoot more and worry less.
    Last edited by JodyH; 12-19-2014 at 08:03 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

If there isn't a documented tendency to such a sort of a failure mode (rail systems failure), then I would not recommend starting now for this system (VP9) or any other rail system just yet.

Site Supporter
    The HK website states the following: "Extended Picatinny rail rated to handle lights, lasers, aimers, and other accessory loads up to 5.6 ounces with no impact on performance."

I think your "OCD-9" will be just fine.

HK VP9 rail bendgate coming to a gun store near you.

Where was the CG of the 5.6 ounces?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Unless you plan on going a D Cell Mag Light to the gun, you should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Even if the "load rating" of the rail is max 5oz. Does 5oz. not equal 5oz. where you come from?

I bet there's a 10 page thread on the HK*** forum worrying about the vp9 rail's 5oz. rating complete with calibrated scales and frantic calls to customer service.

I once mounted a rail mounted grenade launcher to an M9A1. So yeah, there's that concern. (I didn't fire it though).

On a serious note, I've never heard of a "rated load" for a pistol rail. Sounds stupid for a manufacturer to open that can of worms. I worked in testing for a larger handgun manufacturer and we did some absurd tests to rate, characterize, and test minutia. Not once did I ever do or hear about the weight rating on a pistol rail.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post

Just don't hang anything stupid off it and you're good. LOL.

Even though I can . I don't like taking it to the ride line. You can and I'm fine with it.

I thought it was a legitimate question ? Plus I wanted to further educate myself . I had no idea about pistol rail ratings . I have been EDC a pistol with light for a few months and been thinking of a green laser light. Because of HK I now know not to mount a light/laser that's over 5oz on a VP9. Yes JodyH 5oz = 5oz where I come from. And again I don't like approaching the red line.

So yeah !
    I really would of liked to known what issues HK ran across using laser/lights that weigh over a X400 / 5oz
    And what lights/laser caused the issues. And most of all does the P30 rail share the same rating?

User Tag List