Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left handed shooters and Glocks

Left handed shooters and Glocks

Hi guys, I am a south paw and I am having a bit of a problem. I have a G19 and when I shoot slowly I dont generally have too many problems.
    Once I crank up the pace and shoot fast and start transitioning, I am starting to have feeding problems.
    It appears that my magazine gets released but not enough to drop out, I think I am somehow activating the magazine release button.
    Any one here that is left handed accidentally pushed the magazine release button when shooting or is it just me? Any work around for this?

Gen 3 or 4? Standard or extended mag release?

Gen 3 standard mag release. Trigger guard was undercut and frame stipple by a professional and I have smaller hands and I am able to grip the glock really high, I think that might be part of the problem.

I'm a Southpaw too.

Smaller hands will allow the left second metacarpal head (the base of the left index finger, palmar surface) or proximal index finger phalanx to contact the magazine release button on a Glock.

Aside from grip circumference reductions, you might consider whittling down the magazine release button both at the edges and at the top surface.

Increasing the tension of the mag release spring would work too, but I've never seen that any such thing as an "increased power" spring of that sort even exists. (I've never seen one advertised.)
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Hmm, thanks for the advice. Do you release the mag using your trigger finger?

While I have never had this problem, I have the factory extended mag release on my Gen3 17 and when practicing weak had only (my left) drills, it actually sticks out nicely between my middle and index finger. IDK if that would address your issues or not.

May need to go Gen4 if nothing else works.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrov View Post
    Do you release the mag using your trigger finger?
    Yes, always.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by Petrov View Post
    Hmm, thanks for the advice. Do you release the mag using your trigger finger?

Leave the mag release on the left side of the gun and use your trigger finger. I'm am left handed and have been shooting glocks for years, never had a problem like you described. I would also purchase a Ghost Extended Forward slide release. I usually slingshot the slide but the extended forward release is a good thing to have for a lefty glock shooter IMO.

Just realized you said Gen 3 so your release has to be on the left side. Now I'm really baffled. I have never seen or heard of that happening. Borrow a Gen 4 and switch the release to the right side see if it happens. If it doesn't then buy one and sell the Gen3.
    Last edited by 23JAZ; 12-17-2014 at 12:49 PM.

Have had that issue time ago, then switched to Gen4, switched the mag release and never looked back. We adapt constantly as left handed persons but when something comes that helps get it if you can.

I'm left handed and have been shooting Glocks for years. I have never had the issue you describe of accidentally releasing the magazine. Also, I have gotten so used to using my index finger to release the magazine that I left my Gen 4 Glocks as they came from Glock.

User Tag List