Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the M&P 9 "fixed"?

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I'm not in the industry, nor am I an engineer, so I'll take your word for it.

I think S&W's M&P problems has more to do with poor craftsmanship than poor design specifications, but that's just a WAG. Here's some of my evidence, note there's finish inside of those marks:
    My sarcasm sucks apparently.

Often folks blame tolerance for poor designs or QC.
    S&W is not unique to that.

If I had a slide like that it would have gone thru the window at Smith with my return address attached...
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    I missed your sarcasm, we're on the same page.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Bill Riehl.
    *Disclaimer*
    I am specifically talking about any manufacturer right now.

When you do a high temp (like FCN) process on parts that have very different cross section thicknesses, and you cool and heat them at different rates (the slides on the inside of the basket will heat and cool slower than the outside), expect a certain percentage of the parts to warp to a larger extent.

Also, FCN treatment of stainless steel is a bit odd IMHO. FCN is great for low alloy, low carbon steel. Not 400 series stainless.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    My sarcasm sucks apparently.

S&W is not unique to that.

If I had a slide like that it would have gone thru the window at Smith with my return address attached...
    I laughed. Out loud, as a matter of fact.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    *Disclaimer*
    I am specifically talking about any manufacturer right now.

When you do a high temp (like FCN) process on parts that have very different cross section thicknesses, and you cool and heat them at different rates (the slides on the inside of the basket will heat and cool slower than the outside), expect a certain percentage of the parts to warp to a larger extent.

Also, FCN treatment of stainless steel is a bit odd IMHO. FCN is great for low alloy, low carbon steel. Not 400 series stainless.
    Bill,

You and I talked about this slide warping issue and chamber/bore concentric issues in the past. Do you have any direct knowledge whether S&W has "fixed" these issues or are we still in the guessing game with their pistols?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Bill,

You and I talked about this slide warping issue and chamber/bore concentric issues in the past. Do you have any direct knowledge whether S&W has "fixed" these issues or are we still in the guessing game with their pistols?
    First my original post should say "Not talking about specific manufactures."

In so far as S&W, I haven't done anything to keep up with the accuracy work.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    I'm taking possession of a new LE SKU M&P 9 on Monday (151215) which has all of the "upgrades". Let's hope it's a shooter at 25.
    If it's anything like mine, it will be if you do your part (I have a 309701; which I believe is the same gun, just Melonite finish vs. PVD). I'm still <300 rounds through it, and it probably doesn't help that I'm dividing what little range time I have between it an FNS9, and a G17 (I've convinced myself it's a scientific experiment; please don't tell me otherwise), but so far it's been a champ (as much as one can be in my hands).

On the OT, I would be interested in seeing more details on M&Ps that have/don't have issues, to see if there are any trends. I'm my case, I have SN HUR5xxx, a 2-dimple barrel, positive tactile & audible reset, and the "new" sear. While the round count is low, and I've yet to run it hard, I have had any issues with it.

Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Tod-13 View Post
    They weren't fixed in 2013. I had a 9mm CORE PRO that did 8-12 inches at 25 yards. Sold it to someone who only shoots at 7 yards and is happy with it. My old Smith revolvers do 4-6 inches at 50 yards.

That's better than the Gen1 P85 I had.
    For some reason I shoot a revolver in 38/357 a whole lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    I don't get the conventional wisdom about poor grouping only at longer range (25yds).
    That hasn't been my experience. My 5-8" grouping guns still grouped poorly at 7 yds, it's just easier to discern the problem at 25 yds. Basically its easier to see and notice a grouping problem at 25, than to realize that a gun that barely does 2" at 7 yds is a problem. Math, angles, geometry and all that...

Example, I've been practicing the frank garcia dot drill...shooting 2" circles at speed. My M&Ps have a hard time keeping them in the 2" circle at 7 yds...at any speed (with still lots of vertical dispersion).

I have a much easier time at the dot drill with the P30. Despite the heavier trigger, snappier recoil, the gun doesn't produce fliers (only I can do that).

FWIW, most of my M&Ps group problems were with vertical dispersion...typical groups would be 2" wide by 5-8" tall at 25 yds (5 shots).
    I don't get it either? BTW I Don't have any experience with the M&P 9mm.

I do have experience with a Gen 1 Ruger P85 that wouldn't group consistently . Each group would be totally different and looked like it was shot with a 12GA.
    I also shot like this at close range.

Finally received my new gun, and to my surprise it came with the MA compliant trigger. Supposedly about 10.5 lb. Pull . The dealer put the apex trigger springs in it to lighten it a little. I haven't had a chance to have the trigger weight checked or take it to the range. Will report back when I do...

User Tag List