Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WC CQB Questions

WC CQB Questions

//I had no idea that the 1911 was one of the flavors of the week around here as of late. They're not really my main gun, but I just picked up a new-to-me sixteen year old Wilson CQB.

Per the previous owner, the first owner put 400 rnds through it, and the guy who sold it to me put 100 or so. I will be the 3rd owner.

What do I need to know about this gun as far as springs, and general maintenance, and round count intervals? Are 1911s really *that* finicky?

Any other things I should know in general?

After briefly chatting with TCinVA, he suggested these WC flatwire springs, so these are already on my radar. I also PM'd Mr. Giddings of Gun Nuts (since I know he shoots a ton of 1911), and he suggested the Wilson EMT magazines.

The gun came with four 47-Ds and the soft case but no papers. I've already emailed WC inquiring about my gun's build history/specs. It's a 3 digit gun, FWIW.

I'll take this pistol to a [USPSA] match once I get a proper holster for it.

All this being said, my main firearms are Beretta 92/and a Glock 19, and these will still be. I just got this WC for a good deal.
    Last edited by rojocorsa; 05-15-2016 at 08:34 PM.

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-05-15 at 6.28.41 PM.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  66.3 KB
    Picture

If I were to buy a older Wilson CQB and was the third owner, I would send it back to Wilson and have them look it over and put new springs and stuff while there at it. It costs money but you already spent some coin on a quality gun, mine as well do it right. Also Wilson could probably provide answers to all your questions and also give you service interval schedule. You would be starting things off the right way.

I'd put fresh springs in it and rebuild the mags with the 7rd kit. That's a pretty early gun using their own frame which I think started in 1996 (?). I have a hard time foreseeing any problems with that configuration. My Wilson's are from the early 90s, built on colts.

edit: Kevin P and I were posting at the same time. His recommendation is very good too
    Last edited by theJanitor; 05-15-2016 at 09:20 PM.

Site Supporter
    Nice !

This is a great resource for the PM info your looking for. http://www.10-8performance.com/1911/

Before becoming a pistolsmith, the owner of 10-8, Hilton Yam was a shooter and an LEO with an organization which issued 1911's for tactical team use so he has seen a significant number of rounds through 1911s.

I would second rebuilding your 47D magazines with the Trip Super 7 kits.

https://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/h...prod55221.aspx

In my experience, 7 round mags work much more reliably than 8 rounders, unless the 8 round is built with a longer magazine tube to accommodate the extra round like the lates generation Wilson ETM magazines.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-15-2016 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks for these leads.

Also, is it true that USGI 7 rounders are still a decent option? I keep hearing about them as such.

Looks the same as my wife's WC CQB. (mine is SN .... 948) - Mine doesn't have ambi safeties. (I also fitted a Novak rear and a extended mag button to it...)

We run 8 rd 47D's. They just plain old work in the gun.
    I think I just lubed the gun and put a new RSA in there when we got it.

Dude they aren't that finicky: We just shoot the crap out of it. Works fine with 230 ball, and all sorts of hollow point ammo.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    Thanks for these leads.

Also, is it true that USGI 7 rounders are still a decent option? I keep hearing about them as such.
    Good quality 7 rounders (colt / metal form or actual GI) are a base line for reliability. It doesn't mean they are the only mags which will work.

A high quality 5" steel frame gun like your Wilson is optimal in terms of reliability. Don't over think it.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-16-2016 at 12:58 AM.

If as you say the pistol only has roughly 500 rounds through it, give it a good cleaning, Inspect it thoroughly, lube it and shoot the heck out of it.

Somewhere around 4 or 5000 rounds change out the springs. All of them!

As far as mags are concerned, Colt, Metal Form and Wilson 47's are good to go. For me I use Tripp MFG Cobra mags exclusively. I found they work better than any and their quality control is top notch

I've carried and handled 1911's for over 46 years and trust my life to them implicitly and that's my advice for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntexwheels View Post
    Somewhere around 4 or 5000 rounds change out the springs. All of them!
    Eh?

Looking at what Hilton Yam recommends, that's way past the scheduled recoil spring change. As for the rest of the springs, why? I can see changing the firing pin spring at the same time as the recoil spring, but aren't the rest of them basically rated for the lifetime of the gun?
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

User Tag List