Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the M&P 9 "fixed"?

Is the M&P 9 "fixed"?

Just purchased a new M&P 9 FS, and had read this:

most CONUS urban LE agencies would be better served by issuing a quality 9 mm handgun (Glock 17/19, S&W M&P9, or HK VP9/P30)

and this:

Some older M&P9's exhibit accuracy issues at ranges beyond 15 yds; M&P9's made after July 2012 seem to shoot as accurately as a typical 3rd gen 9 mm Glock.

Then I started reading some of the threads on the aqccuracy issues and it sounds like they may not have resolved the problem.

Should I expect to have accuracy problems out of my new gun? Anybody know if there was ever a definitive fix for this issue? Are the new pistols any better?
    Last edited by j.d.allen; 12-16-2014 at 05:06 PM.

In general I believe that they are getting better. I shoot mine as well as anything else. I have not seen as much talk online about them having issues.

This article may also be of interest to you though it was published in 2012.
    http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=159

My recent manufactured 9 fs are 2-2 1/2" guns.
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    My recent manufactured 9 fs are 2-2 1/2" guns.
    Great! Is that at 25 yds?

Yes, 98z28 can confirm that statement as well. They were previously his.
    AKA: SkyLine1

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    Yes, 98z28 can confirm that statement as well. They were previously his.
    Oh I don't doubt you, you didn't specify in your first post so I thought I'd just make sure. Thanks.

Anyone else with any info on this?

Not sure what this is all about...

https://www.facebook.com/Official.Chris.Costa
    The past few handgun classes I've taught I've seen a quality issue with Smith an Wesson M&P handguns. This is the 3rd gun in 9mm I've seen shotgun the target at 7 yards. Barrels are breaking apart at the crown an numerous malfunctions. No mods were done to the weapons an all 3 were newer weapons with less than 500 through them, so keep a watchful eye.
    Ammo was a combination of Fed, CCI, and PMC.

Vending Machine Operator
    ^ Holy cow
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    "Fixed", I'd say no.

The M&P line has had some niggling issues from the very beginning that have never been completely resolved. The accuracy issue is a real hit or miss thing. I have purchased 7 M&P pistols over the years and I helped a few others buy M&P's and none of them exhibited these kind of accuracy issues, but I know folks who have bought guns and experienced various accuracy problems...although usually not quite as severe as the one pictured above.

Sometimes when a problematic gun pops up Smith fixes it, sometimes they declare it's within spec and they don't. I would imagine that the gun responsible for the showing above would be replaced or have significant part replacement. A problem that manifests primarily as unacceptably large group sizes at 25 yards maybe not.

As best I can tell you're taking a chance when you buy one...but I don't think you have a significantly higher chance of a bad outcome buying an M&P than you do buying most other handguns on the market. Probably a lower chance of problems than if you bought a .40 caliber Glock, for instance...
    3/15/2016

User Tag List