Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The movie "The Interview" terror threats

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    In spite of what Hollywood says, is there any real danger to a hack attack? Like a mass casualty event? I have my doubts.
    The references to hacking are completely separate from the threats against the movie theaters.

Here's why it's all being mentioned together in one article:

• Sony was the target of a massive cyber attack.
    • The hackers gathered up hundreds or thousands of internal Sony e-mails.
    • The hackers have been leaking these emails periodically, creating a hell of a mess for Sony. Not so great for PR when everyone sees the nasty things executives say about their own talent, about each other, etc. All sorts of dirty laundry is being aired.
    • Less damaging to their PR, but also damaging to their business, scripts, screeners, and other materials have also been leaked.
    • People have speculated that the hack was carried out by North Koreans in retaliation for Sony creating a movie where Dear Leader is ridiculed and assassinated.
    • Now there are threats of physical attacks, claiming to be from the same hackers, and also claiming that this is indeed related to the movie.

There have been so many news stories (most of them focusing on the dirty laundry) that I haven't kept up with everything. Last I heard, NK still denies responsibility for the attacks and I don't know what the evidence indicates.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

Site Supporter
    Pretty sad they canceled the NY premier.
    This movie was on my "Don't bother" list. Near the top. Well, whatever end signifies the most least likely.
    But, I'll try to make it if there's a DFW location for a P-F viewing.
    If these clowns get away with scaring people off from bad movie night, how many others will do the same?
    What a huge win for their side, with no real exposure and minimal effort. F the Norks.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Ironically, Michael Mann's Blackhat might benefit from all this activity-suddenly a movie about mass cybercrime is very topical.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I suspect that the Streisand Effect will ultimately result in better revenue for "The Interview" than it would have otherwise made. Even if fear is able to drive down opening week numbers, eventually people will want to see what could stir up such a controversy. Hell, the hacks and threats have so far served to keep this movie high in the daily news cycle (way more than any advertising campaign could have achieved).

If I were a hardcore conspiracy theorist, I might even accuse Sony of setting up a publicity stunt. But given all the PR consequences Sony has suffered so far (with presumably more to come), and now terrorist threats, that's obviously not the case.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    If I were a hardcore conspiracy theorist, I might even accuse Sony of setting up a publicity stunt. But given all the PR consequences Sony has suffered so far (with presumably more to come), and now terrorist threats, that's obviously not the case.
    Yeah, I saw that one getting bandied about in the usual places and thought "Don't y'all think that's a pretty serious self-inflicted wound just to pimp one mid-budget movie?"
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Yeah, I saw that one getting bandied about in the usual places and thought "Don't y'all think that's a pretty serious self-inflicted wound just to pimp one mid-budget movie?"
    Indeed. There's not even a dollar value you could put on it at this point. Even if you said to Sony, "We'll guarantee you a BILLION dollars in revenue for this movie. In exchange, we will let some of your top earners (like Angelina Jolie, Kevin Hart, and Adam Sandler) know all the shit you talk about them. We'll release details about how much you pay certain people. We'll release intellectual property that you haven't yet monetized. Some of you will probably be fired"... there's no way they take that deal.

What's funny (if you can call anything about this funny) is that some of the leaked emails show Sony execs crapping on the movie that started this whole controversy, saying it's "desperately unfunny."

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I suspect that the Streisand Effect will ultimately result in better revenue for "The Interview" than it would have otherwise made. Even if fear is able to drive down opening week numbers, eventually people will want to see what could stir up such a controversy.
    You could be right.

...although personally the fact that North Korean dictators might find the movie offensive doesn't really make me any more inclined to sit through what is likely to be an hour and a half of freshman-level rectal insertion and penis jokes.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    It's bad to be a leftie and get caught breaking bad on the Imperial President. Hard not to LOL. Sew --> Reap.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

The movie "The Interview" terror threats

“If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    ... what is likely to be an hour and a half of freshman-level rectal insertion and penis jokes.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List