Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The movie "The Interview" terror threats

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Well, this reportedly utterly unfunny and lousy film sure is getting a lot of attention.
    To call it a Pyrrhic victory would be insanely generous.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Not to release it in brick-and-mortar movie theaters.
    http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/17/medi...deo-on-demand/

Even if they did release it digitally, there's no way they'd make break-even without domestic theater sales. Trying to portray this as a marketing move by Sony falls squarely into the whole "fire doesn't melt steel!" category.
    Last edited by Tamara; 12-18-2014 at 05:35 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Straight up corporate cowardice. My guess is Sony caved to blackmail (or was forced to cave) over the contents of the stolen data.
    The stolen data is either very embarrassing or legally incriminating.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Straight up corporate cowardice. My guess is Sony caved to blackmail (or was forced to cave) over the contents of the stolen data.
    The stolen data is either very embarrassing or legally incriminating.
    ^^^^^^ This.

And I'll bet at the end of the day, the "hack" was likely somebody on the inside with a grudge. It wouldn't be the first time a disgruntled employee turned loose of a password. The second somebody leaves our company, their account is either deleted or locked. But we have had a couple of folks who managed to do some damage before their actual termination.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    ^^^^^^ This.

And I'll bet at the end of the day, the "hack" was likely somebody on the inside with a grudge. It wouldn't be the first time a disgruntled employee turned loose of a password. The second somebody leaves our company, their account is either deleted or locked. But we have had a couple of folks who managed to do some damage before their actual termination.
    What's disturbing about that. Is it means that North Korean intelligence is able to acquire this information easily.

I've seen multiple statements from the state department suggestioning Pyongang is responsible. And it would appear that is laregely the case. So, if you're a disgruntled employee of Sony how do you sell the keys to North Korea? You don't just wander into their embassy...and if you do, then OUR security sucks...Because that means .GOV is too busy feeling up grandma at the airport and hacking your cellphone for nudes, instead of checking out the citizens wandering into the embassies of states belonging to the "Axis of Evil".

I for one welcome our Pyongyang overlords.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Whatever happened to avoiding stupid people, stupid places, and stupid things?

Is that old-fashioned?
    It's old-fashioned to think that our intuitions about stupidity are equally valid in this world with ubiquitous Googles, iPhones, and Facebooks - not to mention Keyhole, JWICS, SWIFT, and 2-man machine shops in Bozeman that are tied into the stupidly complex supply chain involved in, say, building the Gerald R. Ford.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I for one welcome our Pyongyang overlords.
    Lol. Maybe they'll increase our snow and rice rations.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Bread and circuses. This is like Clinton and the aspirin factory. We're talking about a stupid movie just like the White House had us talking about a stupid YouTube "movie" on the night of Benghazi. No one here is talking about the collapse of oil (JodyH, you're in the biz, right), no one is talking about the collapse of the Russian rouble, no one is talking about how this will effect an already unstable ME and no one is talking about how this is destroying one of the major industries that gave us what little economic recovery so far. Oh and have we also forgotten the illegals and the astronomical rise in healthcare costs? But no, let's focus on Sony's inability to protect a straight to bong and buds stoner movie.

By the way, this wasn't a rant at any of you, this was a rant about our media and politicians.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Has anyone claimed credit for this cyber attack? Or has it only "been traced to" the North Koreans?

User Tag List