Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The movie "The Interview" terror threats

Site Supporter
    Stars slam Sony for spiking 'The Interview'

.@SonyPictures don’t cave, fight: release @TheInterview free online globally. Ask viewers for voluntary $5 contribution to fight #Ebola.

— Mitt Romney (@MittRomney) December 18, 2014
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

It's time for an Operation Wrath of God on North Korea's Unit 121.

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    The obvious answer is a meme of Inigo Montoya's famous quote. But the truth is that no one knows how this whole cyber thing will evolve. There are those who think of "cyber" as another domain of warfare. If so, consider other warfare domains, and how they've evolved over time. Planes were originally used exclusively for recon. The though of aerial combat was so alien, that enemy pilots would wave at each other and etc. Then one day a pilot dropped, what? A stick of TNT? Anyway, aerial bombardment was born. Then a clever fellow stopped an bombing run with his, what? Mosin Nagant? Anyway, dog fighting was born. Leading-edge, creative, hacked-together uses for a fledgling new war domain. Yet today, dog-fights are, like, non existent or close enough. Who could imagine the bombing munitions of today? And who could imagine that an even more important benefit of air superiority would be logistical flexibility? It's a deep discussion and I'm not doing it justice, but hopefully we can agree that new "war domains" evolve in unexpected, unimaginable ways.

So, yeah. Today we see everything from simple theft a-la credit card fraud, to grass-roots political hacktivism, to organized professional "hacklers" financed by nation-states. And we can recognize a trend towards the deep financial impact that can be achieved with cyber superiority. But unlike the other, more mature warfare domains, we're foolish to think we can read the signs of cyber activity like we can read troop movements or naval strategery or even satellite positioning. Sony may very well be canceling a movie in order to literally continue existing as a viable business. It wouldn't be the first time.

So when someone makes demands by holding hostage your very existence - or, at least, the very livelihood of many employees - I don't think it's too far out there to call it terrorism. I know that doesn't quite sound right. Because the thing is, the conceptual frameworks we have to think about crime and terrorism and war need to evolve to include the new relationships and activities and consequences that are possible now. We need to take a step back and think about our thinking, before we can really think productively about the Sony situation.

I'll stop now, because I notice I'm ranting. It's something I feel a little passionate about. I'd hate for us to be left behind the 8-ball as the cyber domain evolves around us...
    Well said. It's arguably the most asymmetric form of warfare currently available. And frankly, the one with the least consequences for the attackers.

And Alamo Drafthouse has backed away from it's showing of Team America. A pity, I have consumed a fair share of beverages there.

Whatever happened to avoiding stupid people, stupid places, and stupid things?

Is that old-fashioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Whatever happened to avoiding stupid people, stupid places, and stupid things?

Is that old-fashioned?
    I acknowledged this earlier. But I think there is a world of difference between the ordinary risk avoidance behaviors of folks living their lives and trying not to become a statistic / becoming involved in a major incident, and allowing stupid people in stupid places to hold hostage the core values by which we live our lives.

I don't care one way or another about any Hollywood movie. I will however refuse to simply stand silent in the face of foreign threats, and in the face of corporate cowardice, that would end them.

Allowing this to come to pass as it has, even once, will mean that many more things we will care about are going to be held at risk. This only escalates from here - and what is publicly known about where that could go remains only the tip of the iceberg.

I would never have thought that juvenile comedy is where we had to take a stand as a nation, but so be it. We did not ask this to come to our door.

Well, this reportedly utterly unfunny and lousy film sure is getting a lot of attention.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Well, this reportedly utterly unfunny and lousy film sure is getting a lot of attention.
    Sony has decided to not release it, to ensure maximum attention. It's a new business plan; instead of volume, they're hoping to make back the entire $44M budget off a single bootleg copy being sold in the parking garage to Rob Lowe.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Why is the idea that we've lost our national backbone so shocking? We send soldiers to enemy battlefields and then demand they be disarmed ,lest we offend the enemy.

At this point im waiting for Obama's press conference apologizing to North Korea for insulting their leader.

Edit-Paramount Pictures has pulled showings of Team America:World Police. Yup, our national backbone is deader then Elvis and doo-wop.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 12-18-2014 at 05:26 PM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

The movie "The Interview" terror threats

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Sony has decided to not release it
    Not to release it in brick-and-mortar movie theaters.

direct to DVD sounds like a great plan.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List