Thread: M193 Performance in 10.3-10.5" Barrels

Site Supporter

M193 Performance in 10.3-10.5" Barrels

The title says it: does anybody have credible source chronograph data for factory M193 loads such as WW Q3131, Federal M193 and the like from 10.3-10.5" barrels? I'm looking for Mil/LE/Industry data if available.

Next, how low can you go on velocity before yaw and fragmentation stops occurring with this class of cartridges?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The title says it: does anybody have credible source chronograph data for factory M193 loads such as WW Q3131, Federal M193 and the like from 10.3-10.5" barrels? I'm looking for Mil/LE/Industry data if available.

Next, how low can you go on velocity before yaw and fragmentation stops occurring with this class of cartridges?
    Well, it depends on your latter question. A bullet that yaws early will frag at a lower initial velocity.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Well, it depends on your latter question. A bullet that yaws early will frag at a lower initial velocity.
    Yep. Just wondered what the threshold was and what the real world velocities from this SBR were in comparison.

paging Doc.

Wayne,
    Don't know if this helps, but Federal XM193 averaged 2643fps (ES of 111) out of my Daniel Defense 10.3" LW barrel. This was over a Shooting Chrony 10' from the muzzle. Not the greatest chrono, but the velocities I got on other factory ammo that day were well within the expected ranges.

Sorry, can't help on the second part.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    paging Doc.
    I've also emailed him on this, but was wondering if there were folks with data points that might contribute to the inquiry.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but still might be useful.

IIRC, the yaw/frag range of M193 from a 10. is about 50-75 yards.

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2010armamen...hilipDater.pdf

First of all, AR15's with 10.3-10.5" barrels are generally more problematic than AR15's with 11.5-12.5" barrels.

5.56 mm 55 gr FMJ like M193 typically will be running around 2700 fps +/- 50 fps or so from the MK18 size guns.

Please see data here: http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

55 gr FMJ fired from an SBR is NOT one of the better LE ammo choices. Generally the bonded JSP's or bonded OTM's are a far better option for SBR's deployed in LE roles.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    First of all, AR15's with 10.3-10.5" barrels are generally more problematic than AR15's with 11.5-12.5" barrels.

5.56 mm 55 gr FMJ like M193 typically will be running around 2700 fps +/- 50 fps or so from the MK18 size guns.

Please see data here: http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

55 gr FMJ fired from an SBR is NOT one of the better LE ammo choices. Generally the bonded JSP's or bonded OTM's are a far better option for SBR's deployed in LE roles.
    +1
    For me M193/M855 = range use only . especially with short barrels .

Didn't you do a M193 frag range test back 15-20yrs ago . maybe it was someone else .

I guess I just don't understand.

If all you have is M193, or Wolf, or Tula, or whatever...it's all you've got or can get. So use it. It is what it is. Use P for Plenty and put them where they belong, and that's all you can do.

But if M193 isn't all you have got, or can get, then make the better choice.

So yes, I understand the academic desire to "know", but practically, "knowing" won't affect either the outcome, or the ammo choice, or anything else, other than "knowing" or rather, it shouldn't.

User Tag List