Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gen4 G19 vs. Gen4 G17 Accuracy Question

Mike Hughes seems to do pretty well competing as a USPSA GM with a box stock Glock 19.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I0zRVG3kooM
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    ...the G19 feels cramped, and the finger grooves and hump hit me in the "wrong" place.
    I'm with you 100%. For whatever reason, the "finger grooves" on the G19/23 are just WRONG in my hand, but I never even notice the finger grooves on the G17/22. The same is true for the G26/27 - no issues with the finger grooves. The "hump" in a neutral for me, especially with Gen4 guns with no backstrap added. There's a reason why the first thing I do with any new compact Glock after proving reliability and adding real sights is break out the files and sanding blocks and make the finger grooves go away...

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    One thing I've found that helps is using the full size mags as a reload...
    Since I have a metric kitten load of G19 magazines, and almost no G17 mags, I find the same effect can be accomplished (both capacity and "pinchless" reloads) using the OEM +2 base plate. I only have one flat base magazine (my "carry" magazine), the rest have +2s...

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I'm with you 100%. For whatever reason, the "finger grooves" on the G19/23 are just WRONG in my hand, but I never even notice the finger grooves on the G17/22. The same is true for the G26/27 - no issues with the finger grooves. The "hump" in a neutral for me, especially with Gen4 guns with no backstrap added. There's a reason why the first thing I do with any new compact Glock after proving reliability and adding real sights is break out the files and sanding blocks and make the finger grooves go away...
    I'm with you on that as well. The G19 is such a great size, but I get the worst case of Glock knuckle on my strong hand middle finger from mine. The full size grips don't give me a problem at all.

I started out with a G19 and recently purchased a G17 (both Gen4s). For the first few hundred rounds through the G17, it seemed I shot the G19 better. After I got comfortable with my grip on the 17 and would switch between the two, I started to notice how the sights settle down quicker and I seem to have much less felt recoil on the 17. The difference or any perceived improvements in my shooting is probably marginal between the two. I love them both! I carry the 19 while the 17 is the bedside piece.

Quote Originally Posted by mizer67 View Post
    If there wasn't a practical improvement overall going to the bigger gun, everyone would be shooting G19's and G26's in USPSA.
    Making PF...

User Tag List