Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Potential Terrorism Event in Sydney

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Having taught for a zillion years, Tam - I never assume that folks have common knowledge or common sense! That analysis of the AWB was in the Koper and Roth work. I heard them present their original report that was sponsored by the DOJ. The progun folks took away that the AWB was stupid and thus no such legislation would work. The antigun folks took away that the law was poorly designed and implemented. That's why later proposed bans are much stricter. Of course, some laws were stupid - as the NY 7 round mag law. Supposedly Cuomo wanted to ban higher cap mags and proposed a 5 round limit. He was told that currently folks make 10 rounders for guns (these are for the ones that can carry even more - I have a set of 10 round G19 round mag I bought cheap for reloads in IDPA). So Cuomo sez - I will propose 7 rounders and we will be first in NY. That fell apart with the silliness that you could buy 10 round mags but only loaded to 7 - which I think is the current state of things in NY - haven't followed that recently.

The excuse defense for owning ARs and the like will not work. Calling them modern sporting rifles or denying that they are not military derivative - easily set aside by a well schooled antigun person. The mag limit - say it's stupid because some rampagers have used the 10 rounders (didn't Cho carry zillions of them?) - OK - so let us have even more capacity? That's not going to convince an anti.

My view is that the 2nd exists for self-defense and defense against tyranny and thus we need effacious guns. Saying they are for sport - you buy into a limit. If I take my shotgun into the field here I have to limit the rounds (but I don't have to limit my HD shotgun). Sports usage defense is dangerous. The Australians tried it and it didn't sway the general public.

The US gun world has two cultures - SD and sports - yes there is a Venn diagram overlap but SD rules nowadays. The AR purchases are clearly more for SD than sport.
    That's the most intellectually-honest appraisal of the situation I've ever read. I feel smarter for having read it; you're a good instructor!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    ...Wandering back around to Sydney:

The news is now that he did have a firearms license at one point, but it evidently expired.
    It seems oldmate didn't have a licence

http://www.afp.gov.au/media-centre/n...ron-monis.aspx
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Didn't he know that possessing a firearm without a licence is a criminal offence?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    ...how many nations bordering Mexico have had insurrections or civil wars in the last sixty years where outside countries pumped guns to their proxies like they were coming from fire hydrants?
    I recall reading that full auto AKs in Central America in the '80's cost about $25. I've often wondered what they cost now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    In addition to a dramatically corrupt military and law enforcement culture that dates to its founding, how many nations bordering Mexico have had insurrections or civil wars in the last sixty years where outside countries pumped guns to their proxies like they were coming from fire hydrants?

(Also, the idea that the only guns crossing the border from Del Norte were from the BATFE's program is fatuous. It takes a special kind of whackadoodle party-line Conservatism to insist that our border is porous to drugs and illegals heading north, but is an iron wall that stops guns going south except the ones from Eric Holder. I know for a fact that one of our customers at a previous place of employment was indicted for trading dozens of what the media would term "legally-purchased assault weapons" including at least one machine gun, to narcotrafficantes in exchange for product.)
    Serious question: how many revolutions were followed with strict and oppressive gun laws vs those where gun rights were part of the framework of the resulting govt?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    Serious question: how many revolutions were followed with strict and oppressive gun laws vs those where gun rights were part of the framework of the resulting govt?
    "One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship." George Orwell

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    If you count the Glorious Revolution, I can only think of two of the latter sort. The rest invariably include disarmament as part of the new government's consolidation of power; after all, they know damn good and well what arms in the hands of outsiders can do.
    Last edited by Tamara; 12-18-2014 at 08:04 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbateman View Post
    It seems oldmate didn't have a licence.
    It'll be interesting to see how he got a hold of it. Is ammunition heavily restricted in Australia too? I recall hearing one of the assaulters was injured with "pellets" to the face, which, I'm thinking, doesn't really lend itself to buckshot. That was an early report though, so the "facts" may have changed since then.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    It'll be interesting to see how he got a hold of it. Is ammunition heavily restricted in Australia too? I recall hearing one of the assaulters was injured with "pellets" to the face, which, I'm thinking, doesn't really lend itself to buckshot. That was an early report though, so the "facts" may have changed since then.
    Ammo in Au is regulated, it varies from state to state in all states and territories you need a licence to purchase ammo.

In NSW hand gun ammo is very highly regulated, have a quick read of this https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data...370/Dealer.pdf

I know Western Australia does a very similar thing, when you buy ammo they record what cal and type of ammo as well as the quantity.
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by dbateman View Post
    Ammo in Au is regulated, it varies from state to state in all states and territories you need a licence to purchase ammo.

In NSW hand gun ammo is very highly regulated, have a quick read of this https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data...370/Dealer.pdf

I know Western Australia does a very similar thing, when you buy ammo they record what cal and type of ammo as well as the quantity.
    Used to have to record handgun ammo sales in the States. After a few years, not much useful info coming of it, and political pressure and it was dropped.

User Tag List