Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Pushback- NYC police union wants de Blasio banned from funerals

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I am not sure I want a Union or a Gov't telling me who can attend my funeral and speak. That is a very personal decision. This is America...home of the FREE, right? Does partisan politics have to infect everything?
    Cody
    When the dudes who show up to the funeral to get camera time looking somber trying to boost their creds as "supporting" law enforcement (something most sane people support) while at the same time pushing policies and practices that caused there to be a funeral in the first place...
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Just a few thoughts regarding some New York City specific police issues.

First, while the NYPD is better paid now than in the past, Their pay and benefits have always lagged behind the surrounding communities and it is not uncommon for officers to leave the NYPD for other departments in their first few years. however, policing is generally a younger man's game. These officers must go through the application process including meeting maximum age requirements and complete another police Academy so this is usually only an option early in one's career. Many NYPD officers get on the job in their 20s, retire in their 40s and go on to second careers.

In other states such as California, Texas, or Florida which have State level peace officer certification (POST etc) it's feasible for an officer to resign from one department and be hired and continue their career with another. In New York, particularly New York City this is not really practical.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    When the dudes who show up to the funeral to get camera time looking somber and trying to boost their creds as "supporting" law enforcement (something most sane people support) while at the same time pushing policies and practices that caused there to be a funeral in the first place...
    This ^^^^^^

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I am not sure I want a Union or a Gov't telling me who can attend my funeral and speak. That is a very personal decision. This is America...home of the FREE, right? Does partisan politics have to infect everything?
    Cody
    Did you miss the part where it's a "waiver individual officers can sign"? Does partisan politics have to inflect your everything?
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Cody
    Most of the politicians "assume" they are invited and expected to attend cop funerals. This is essentially a vote of "no confidence" in the political wing. Basically,-"don't just show up anymore for a photo op on our backs". If some family really wants to invite the mayor, I am sure no one would stop them. I will tell you that if an officer's family went that route, there would likely be a lot of officers who wouldn't show up and share the limelight. Remember, the brass and politicians LOVE cop and firefighter funerals. They are total PR wins for them.

In NY the chants in the streets are "What do we want-Dead Cops, when do we want it-Now". This is the mayors and political leaders side. This will likely affect both retention and recruiting and the quality of LE candidates.

I was always a little jealous of one of our guys who was getting targeted by admin for some b.s, so he simply moved to the trash department. Said it was the greatest career move he ever made. Was making pretty much the same money and as long as the trash got in the back of the truck everybody left him alone. I think a lot of the whiners will be looking elsewhere for work. In the case of those who are simply on blue welfare, it will be no great loss, in the case of the many in LE who really want to go out and do a good job everyday making society a better place there will be a major void that a bunch of decent people are going to be paying for in their blood and quality of life. But don't worry.......I am sure the mayor will find a way to capitalize on someone else's death other than cops.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Did you miss the part where it's a "waiver individual officers can sign"? Does partisan politics have to inflect your everything?
    I just get sick of the rancor. Competition of ideas and solutions is always a good thing and necessary for representative government to operate. But when politics becomes more about face-slapping, it serves no value. This Union's decision is clearly a political face-slap. And, I was trying to make the point that a persons funeral should be a very personal decision by the family and we should keep politics out of it.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

I know of a police officer right now who has been trying to get hired at another LE agency for years. It took him a while to realize that his current supervisors/commanders would find out he was applying at X agency, and then make phone calls trashing him so that he wouldn't get hired.

See, when a police department hates you they don't just fire you. They make you unemployable and THEN they fire you. While trash talking can torpedo someone's hiring prospects in any field of employment, there seems to be a unique credence given to those kinds of communications in LE circles probably due to the ever-present liability worries that seems to infect the profession like bad VD.
    This is very true.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

I just get sick of the rancor. Competition of ideas and solutions is always a good thing and necessary for representative government to operate. But when politics becomes more about face-slapping, it serves no value. This Union's decision is clearly a political face-slap. And, I was trying to make the point that a persons funeral should be a very personal decision by the family and we should keep politics out of it.
    Cody
    Just out of curiosity, how many police funerals have you been to or planned for, especially with a LODD? While the "family" will have the final say, the officer's "LE family" will be doing the lion's share of the work, and there are a bunch of "cultural" traditions involved.

Personally, I specified exactly what I wanted to avoid a lot of that in my Will, which was essentially a lone piper, a flag and that is it in a very non public, non attended ash spreading. Most don't plan for their own death and thus the officer's family and LE family will coordinate, and there becomes a lot of shenannigans as far as the "politicians" in both the agency and government officials. This also happens a lot at Medal ceremony's, which is why I never went to those either and just had them put my commendations in my mailbox.

Site Supporter
    I know of a police officer right now who has been trying to get hired at another LE agency for years. It took him a while to realize that his current supervisors/commanders would find out he was applying at X agency, and then make phone calls trashing him so that he wouldn't get hired.

See, when a police department hates you they don't just fire you. They make you unemployable and THEN they fire you. While trash talking can torpedo someone's hiring prospects in any field of employment, there seems to be a unique credence given to those kinds of communications in LE circles probably due to the ever-present liability worries that seems to infect the profession like bad VD.
    Very true. In New York officers have to get into their new department before reaching maximum age so they are able to complete 20 years as New York does not have a unified police pension system. For example my friends brother got on the NYPD at 21 and left for the Nassau County PD at 29. Though the pay, Benefits, and working conditions are significantly better with Nassau County he was starting from zero in terms of seniority and pension giving up those eight years and starting from zero.

Even in POST states like Texas and California, there are "departments of last resort " where officers go when they can't get a job anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Very true. In New York officers have to get into their new department before reaching maximum age so they are able to complete 20 years as New York does not have a unified police pension system. For example my friends brother got on the NYPD at 21 and left for the Nassau County PD at 29. Though the pay, Benefits, and working conditions are significantly better with Nassau County he was starting from zero in terms of seniority and pension giving up those eight years and starting from zero.

Even in POST states like Texas and California, there are "departments of last resort " where officers go when they can't get a job anywhere else.
    Very true. Here, local government (city, county) have a separate LE retirement plan. As long as we stay local LE its the same pension plan. Same is true for State LE as their retirement is separate from the regular state pension plan. This is what makes it so good. After 30 in one you can then start anew in the other without any overlap and reap a full pension plus a new salary.

There are also "departments of last resort" here as well. While the pay isn't that good its the same retirement system that they came from. Also true here is the fact that if you are not liked by a particular administrator they can torpedo your career elsewhere. I was the recipient of such favor from my first employer. Thank God my new Chief knew the politics inside that agency and hired me. FWIW, he didn't, and still doesn't, like that particular Chief.

User Tag List